Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my predator04 last night at 6pm. Havent had a chance to ride it and break it in. Couple questions about this machine.

1) The deal told me only 200 models are made is this right?

2) Do yall like the break in method that was listed here http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

3)mine came with factory synthetic oil in it do I drain that put in 10w40 havoline of valvoline instead before I ride it to break in the rings correctly then put the ps-4 synthetic back in?

4) any other advice for a new break in or anything for new owner of a predator.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
2... yeha im abotu to break in my engine here soon and after glancing over that article i can say im totally confused. Thats against everything i was ever told.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
If the Predator comes with synthetic, then that's what I would leave in there. Read your owners manual. For 03, it says to run it for ONE hour and then change the oil and put synthetic back in it, then continue to run it gently for two more hours (total of three) and then start to open it up.

This is the procedure I followed on mine and it's worked well. I run nothing but Castrol Act-Evo 10W40 in it and it works very well. I have over 100 hours on mine now and it continues to haul ass.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oks guess I,ll break it in with whats in it thats what the dealer told me to do for 1 hour then change out to the ps-4 snythetic
thx for the info

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just remember to keep synthetic oil in it. you'll love the Pred.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
changed the oil after an hour of break in and I took it fairly hard on it. No redline mind you, but I put it through alot of 3/4 throttle through 1-4 both accellerating and decellerating. A fair amount of small metal shavings on both plugs and in the oil filter. Guess thats why its paramount to change it after an hour.
Anyhow put nother couple hours on it...man I havent ridden since back in the early 90s with my zuki250 quad and I am really having to baby this bad boy like im 16 y.o. again learning to ride for the first time. Thing has torque and acceleration all through the powerband. Lets put it this way glad I didnt get a raptor...**** GLAD.

·
Registered
434 Posts
200? your dealer is full of it.
PS4 or Mobile 1 red cap 10-40 or Amsoil, currently I'm screwing myself by using PS4 and paying twice what either of the other 2 are per quart. Thats going to chage sunday.

·
Registered
235 Posts
200 Troy Lee Design ones maybe. The siler Preds I think they will make as many as they can sell. I've only used the Polaris Synthetic in mine and runs great. I might change to Mobile 1 next purchase though, have to compare prices first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts