Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this over in the Drivetrain section. Put my W/B slip on onto my bike and started it up. Runs great until it hits high RPM's it sputters and pops. At first I thought it was running lean, jetted all the way up to 157.5, ran like crap then moved all the way back down to the 150. It still sputters at high RPM's. Is it possible that the new pipe made me run rich?? It doesn't make sense but do you think I need to go down in main jet size??? BTW i'm still running the stock intake and filter as of right now.

Sean

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
It definitely didn't make you run rich. You might be running into the problem that some people are having where the quad sputters and pops at high RPMs, especially in 1st or 2nd gear. I think my own Predator does this and I've just never taken the time to notice, just figuring I was hitting the rev limiter.

There are those who think this is actually related to the CDI box and not really the pipe. BUT, since your jetting is now the same as before you put the pipe on it, why not put the stock pipe back on and see if it goes away. If it does, let us know so we can try to figure out what the problem is.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Ive mentioned this a few places but I must say again..... spttering can have alot to do with the float bowl needing minor Adj... Im going to my mechanic on the 2nd to have the popping checked out, but I do know I revout alot quicker now.. DUDENHYMER~~~~ whats your plug reading??? What color??? whats your elevation? TINA

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't checked the plug, where is it anyway??? under the gas tank??? The next step I took was to remove the snorkle from the airbox and take the foam prefilter out... this actually made it run better, not as much popping but still there. I think if I were to mess with the jetting with this setup I could get it right but I don't want to run like this cause I hit water and mud. So i've decided to order the airforce kit to get alot more airflow and just jet to their specs. Until it arrives I have put the stock exhaust back on and the popping has gone away completely.

Sean

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sean, to do some jetting runs. There are three screws (one on each side, and one dead center) for the front plastic...also unplug the headligts. Be careful and us some finesse to re-install that. Take off your two side panels. Have a golf-tee available (not a must, but keeps the residual fuel leaking down.) Turn off the fuel. Remove the line at the bottom of the tank and install the golf-tee in it. Loosen the bolt at the rear of the tank and slide it back. You can just lift it off, but watch were you set it so as not to damage the fuel valve on the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts