Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the new issue of Dirt Wheels this morning on the way to work, read the YFZ vs. Z440 vs. Pred shootout. Needless to say I wasn't all that stoked about the more than weak reveiw the pred got. I would have hoped that the pred would have hung or beat the 440 in most of the shoot out.

Has anyone really run thier pred in the sand and been smoked (as the pictures show, and the article tells) by a Z or a YFZ?
The article makes it look like the equiv of a 400ex all stock, though the fact that the pred is priced as tested $1000 or $2000 under the yfz does help and it's not like the 440 is not hoped up with Elkas and stuff.
I'm really hoping that the pred is a blast in the sand, if it's not I might have to put her up for sale.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, a stock predator will get smoked that bad by a 440 suzuki and a YFZ. However, a predator with pipe, clamp on filter and rejeted will smoke a 440 suzuki and just barely get beat by a YFZ. They put a lot of money into that 440 in that article and did very little to the predator. The YFZ is just fast, especially when it is piped, jetted and has the airbox lid off. I have seen a predator with the above mention modifications beat cannondale's with MX mapping and pipe, a CR450F quad and a few other machines. That was a lame shootout article that had the sole purpose of advertising the YFZ.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ding! Thus disappointing. The odds were stacked against the pred from the begining.

Now if they took the extra $700 to $1800/$2500 that was not spent on the preddy and pumped, port/polish/ Elka'd and did something with the airbox the pred should smoke. I hate biased reports. Though i was happy to see it Dyno at 44.6 with the WB pipe and K&N.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yea i ve got the stage one kit from HARDROCK RACING INC. and took 4 th in the dirt drags at the atv jamborre in tenn. we say the yfz and i was inpressed but it in no way was it that much faster. now it was in stock form and the only way it was beat was with a better reaction time i.e. the rider wins races not quads

·
Registered
241 Posts
I beg to differ.............my predator out ran two yfz450's on a staged/timed 100yard sand drag.......every time! Even when my reaction time was slower. I was very surprised because of all of the hype that I had heard about them. Everybody out there thought I had done something to my engine. They seem to be about equal in the sand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Put $8,600 in a Predator like they did the Z and see who smokes who. A good airbox mod job, Pure Polaris slip-on and reject job and a $6,000 Predator (adds about 10 horses) will run with the $1,800 440 Z engine moded machine and still have better suspension. The yfz look to be a great machine, but again look at the bucks. I run my Predator almost exclusively in the sand and couldn't be happier with the setup. Dune tracker with offset rims and a set of 8 paddle Hauler or Sand Skate II's (depending on your preference) and this baby rocks in the sand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Remember to consider the source. Whatever manufacturer spends the most money on advertising with them has the best machine. Look at Cannondale. They had awesome ATV's, but didn't do much (any?) advertising with DW, and as a result, never did that well in the (staged) shootouts.

I wouldn't put much stock in what DW says, since it is driven more by $$$ than anything else.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Let the race track highlight the Predator's success. The hype will soon pass, and the truth will remain. :D

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I usually ride with a piped Z450. He in NO WAY beats me the way Dirtwheels stated. Uphill we are side by side. On the flats I can pull away. I can't believe the bad representation DW gives the Pred. I will NEVER buy another one of thier mags.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have raced many yz 450 and have not lost yet to one i am running a stage 1 kit from hard rock and the yz's were piped and the air box lid off and some got close but none ever won i beat them by at least a bike and remember guys we are much heaver!
emg44tmg good to hear from another hard rock customer!!!
cant wait till i get my HR stage 3 kit.
Bobo

·
Registered
246 Posts
hey i was reading this and had to join sounds like a great place for me we all love Predators!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my thought as well, seeing as more than 1/2 of the perf parts they put on the preddy were for looks and had nothing to do with performance (don't flame me about the hubs I'm talking about the bars.) If the Pred was a Civic maybe adding chrome to it would add 5 hp but it's not.

I love my pred and I hope it rocks like hell in the dunes.
I think it sucks that it was shown like it was, I have never been that far behind any other bike, even a DS720. I'm not saying it was shotty reporting but it is a questionable camera angle that makes the pred look like a 250ex trying to hang with a banshee.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
My take on that article.

First it is clear to see that that reporter does not like the predator at all! Very biased reporting!

You need to look in between the lines to see the big picture,

"Our project predator is equipped with several mods including a slip-on exhaust, jetting upgrades, handle bars, and rear hubs. Even in stock trim, the predator has been the class leader every time we do track testing. With the new mods, it has better throttle response, more low-end and improved handling over the stocker. To date, we have under $700 into our project predator (not including tranny repairs we had to make)."

"Here is the run down, Polaris predators 44.6hp into 415 pounds equals 9.03 lbs per hp. Wiseco z440's 38.5 hp into 375 lbs equals 9.7. Yamaha yfz450's 36.5 into 350 lbs equals 9.58."

The Polaris has the best power to weight ratio as tested! For a whole lot less money!!! Just think what you could do with the left over change? Lite weight parts and more power mods!!

"In the whoops the predator's wider and longer 51 inch wheelbase (yzf450 has 50/z400 has 49) was a big plus. For the constant knee-deep rollers we could stay on the gas more with the Polaris. The Yamaha had a tendency to swap and get out of shape and the z440 was middle of the road."

Gee, I would be really pissed to have spent almost $900 on new front shocks and only get "middle of the road" performance!

Price's as tested

polaris.............$6670.00

Yamaha yfz450......$7325.00

Suzuki z440.........$9261.59

You do the math, I did, and the Polaris is the hands down winner in the best bang for the buck category!

Just goes to show how fair and honest a job of reporting dirt wheels did on the article!!!

And they say that advertiser dollars spent don't affect their test results!!

I call bullshit!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally agree, I call shinanagins! (freakin prolly spelled it wrong!)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
**** BOB, way to catch em slippin!!!! I'm glad you did the math because I hate it. I know for a fact that the Pred can out do both those bikes in an HONEST test with the same amount of money into each bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Bob, if you add the weight of the rider the Pred. has an even bigger advantage in the weight/HP ratio.

For a 200 lb. rider
Pred. 615/44.6=13.79 lb/hp
Z440 575/38.5=14.94 lb/hp
YFZ450 550/36.5=15.07 lb/hp

Their not going anywhere without somebody riding them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Polarisbob, While reading the article I was thinking the same thing you were saying. The Yo-momma-ha and zuki seem to have more add-on/mods than the Predator. If there issue of "excessive wheel spin" was a problem why didn't they add on a new set of rear tires, even something good and cheap like Kenda Klaws. I bet if you added a 13t cs or a 38-39 rear sprocket the Predators bottom end would come out and shine on the track.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I looked at the comment, "excessive wheel spin", to mean either

1) the rider has no clue on how to drive a quad or!!!!!

2) the bike makes so much power that it is hard to get it to the ground with the stock tires!! lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
This last weekend's dirt drags had a stock bore, higher compression piston, HPD full pipe, HPD sparkbox, HPD valve springs on a Predator. In the other corner were big bore Raps, and big bore, cammed Yammi 450's, the Pred won! Now just wait til the cams are done. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
I read that article and it really pissed me off the photo's, the angle they used was like from a Yamaha comercial or something. They put the predator so far behind is was really unbelivable. My first thought was the driver of the predator must really suck big time or somethings else is really wrong. I also thought of all the things people here have wrote. I wondered really about HP at the rear wheel to total weight of the quad with rider. It seemed really impossible the predator could be as bad as they state. I've raced many sooped up Z's and they are not that great, I beat them almost always. Haven't seen a YFZ yet were I ride. That magazine really has poor writters, they are so biased towards Yamaha. I can't wait to see the new Honda and I'm hoping it's really better than the YFZ. Although they are already dissing it before they even know what it is. I only buy that mag because I love the reader photo's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts