Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at dealer the other day and i was talking the mach and he said if i changed the cdi box to nget the revs highter i would have to buy different cams and hevyer prings or risk floating the valves.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi badazz,

Well, it may be true, but my mission with getting a new CDI box is to eliminate the early popping caused by the cheap factory box retarding about 3-4 degrees just before it hits the limiter (8500 rpm on my quad). I just want the ability to have a little over-rev when shifting, and the adjustable rev limit allows for that. I also like the idea of having 10 different power programs that can be thumbswitch activated, several for low end power, more for mid range, and several for top end power. This adds great flexability to the Predator.

I don't KNOW FOR A FACT, but I read and heard through several of the forums and shops, that the STOCK predator valve train is good for about 10,000 rpm before any floating or damage. I would not regularly rev to that myself with stock valve train, but I believe the design is strong enough for it.

I'm going to go with the Vortex CDI box as soon as finances and time permit.

Good luck,

JJ

·
Registered
249 Posts
besides higher revs - cdi boxes can make stronger spark and better response. (so companies advertise)

PS i think a couple hundred more rpms wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You guys are serious about finding more pwr. LOL So far, I find the stock rev limiter more than enough.

...i need more bottom end though. :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The top end mods are going full steam ahead. What's gonna be interesting is how far those, along with the new box will push this thing. It's only gonna get better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
red with my set up you seem to hit the limiter at peak power when she REALLY starts pulling, thats why i think a few more "r's" would be great! nothing crazy to make the motor come apart.

·
Registered
48 Posts
has anyone looked into modifying an accel dfi system and a throttle body to work with a quad? i've seen the system and it looks like you could tune it in. i've been trying to catch up with my buddy with a machine shop to see if he could make me a pair of tb's so i could go to injection. it'd be great to tune ignition and fuel with a laptop. i wonder if the battery/charging system is up to the task tho..

·
Registered
249 Posts
raptor 420 - where do you ride in hillsborough? i'm only 'bout an hour from there. are there any hot spots?

·
Registered
48 Posts
it's pretty good. just a lot of trails. i rent a house on 43 acres, so we're bringing a kubota up here and opening up some trails in my backyard. the other place we ride is private property. The owner is cool with us, but never know when that's going away. and we have a big pipeline that we ride on. you can get to ringoes without doing much street driving at all. where do you ride near philly? the only thing i've seen close to there is 413 exit off rt 95.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'M ACTUAL NORTH OF PHILLY. I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN CALLED PERKASIE. ITS ABOUT 20-25 MILES NORTH OF PHILLY. OTHER THEN A FEW SMALL PIECES OF PROPERTY TO RIDE ON THERES NOT MUCH CLOSE BY. WE ENJOY GOING UP NORTH TO HAZELTOWN AND RIDING IN THE OLD COAL MINES AND COAL SLAG HILLS. THE HILLS ARE GREAT FOR HILLCLIMBING. THEY ARE PRETTY STEEP AND ARE LOOSE, SO IT CAN BE CHALLENGING. THERES ALSO A OLD QUARRY, BUT YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE(FINES IF CAUGHT). I'VE BEEN TO WALTS POLARIS IN RINGOES IS THERE ACTUALLY A PLACE TO RIDE NEAR THERE? THAT ONLY TAKES ME ABOUT 45 MINUTES TO GET TO. I'LL HAVE TO LOOK INTO 413/95, I NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY RIDING SPOTS THERE.
WHAT TYPE OF SLIP ON DID YOU GO WITH ON YOUR RAPTOR. I JUST PUT A FMF TITANIUM 4 ON MY FRIENDS.(WITH A K&N AND LARGER MAIN JETS). I THOUGHT MY PRED W/ A HMF WAS LOUD 'TIL I HEARD HIS RIP.
THANKS FOR RESPONDING - ITS ALWAYS NICE TO FIND NEW PLACES TO RIDE!
(sorry for the "all caps")

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a Pro Circut t4 on there. Can't decide between Sparks and MBRP full bore for a full pipe. I'm not sure how to get on the Pipeline in Ringoes. Mostly good for just going fast in a straight line on there anyway. Best way to get on is if you stay on Amwell Rd going away from walt's. Go across 202, go about 7 miles, and go up Longhill Rd. 'bout 4 miles up longhill road, you'll see the pipeline. If you go to 95/413, I think you can get there by just getting off at 413 exit and unloading in the industrial park. It's on the southbound side of 95. Used to be able to ride off Route 1 inbetween Oxford Valley Rd and Fairless Hills, but amtrack developed the land. A shame, cause it kicked ass back there, and cops almost never came back. Have you tried NJORVP in south jersey yet? Also, I believe you can ride in another part of the pine barrens too(legally, I mean) Hopefully, we're taking a trip up to tower city soon too. You close to there? Perkasie?? Isn't that where Second Street Speed is?

·
Registered
32 Posts
RATH Racing is developing a CDI which will boost the R's ans is said to have awesome bottom end power compared to stock. They said it will be ready in about 3 weeks or so. I'm not really looking for the high dollar programmable CDI, and from what say @ Rath's seems to be just what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been using the Vortex CDI unit for about 3 weeks now with really good results. The "default" power setting seems to work the best for motocross and general fast trail riding. I really like it.

-Paul

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Would ANYONE with the Cdi please tell me is there is waiting list for the CDI? I have Pm's a few people and no one will reply to me.:( I rap out fast with my set up and need those RPMs....... I have the get up and its runin strong, but now the Rev hinders the gains I could have on it..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Watch the revs sports fans. Some upgrade gear is on the way. Patience will keep the quad budget down, haste will make.....you know the rest.

·
Registered
993 Posts
With my vortex cdi, my bike runs great at the increased rpm, This motor is tested and capaible of almost 10,000 rpms with no risk of damage. The stock rev limiter is way too low, the bike just starts to pull strong when it kicks in. With the stock limiter, you will never see the full potential of any mods that would increase the hp.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys......:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just recieved my new CDI from Rath racing and surprise! its a Vortex X10. I suppose that Rath programmed their own mapping, but at least they went with a quality manufacturer. I installed it last night and brought it to the track today. WOW! What a difference down low. I didn't have time to really go through all of the different maps, but the ones I did were kick-ass.

·
Registered
525 Posts
yooperman: What was the map settings. (different from the very low to the very high) thanks
later

1 - 20 of 23 Posts