Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from Texas to North Dakota and im wondering about what i need to do to my predator to get it ready for the cold. oil?, jet?, recomeded tires for the snow?. and whatever else that needs to be done. thanks in advance

·
Registered
818 Posts
put it in the shed and get a snowmobile for the winters and learn how to say ahh

i have family their and they call it southern canada

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
GBC Mudshark tires are what i have found to be amazing. have side-bite, and forward traction is unreal. i can ride wheelies in 3rd gear in 15-20 inches of snow. The IRS really offers alot more traction tho.
Check and make sure your coolant mixture is strong enough to not freeze down to like -30F. Not sure how cold it gets there, but in Northern, WI, we see -25 once in awhile, but usually -20ish.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'd get some gauntlets or some other huge hand guards. Big gloves can only go so far.

As for the motor, make sure it's warmed up really well before getting on it and you may need to re-jet depending upon modifications.

Good luck with the Predator in the snow and your 5 inches or so of ground clearance! haha I know I had a great time with that....

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I have powermadd gauntlets, and without them there is no way to survive in those temps. I ride at 0 f with them all day. My predator did get hung up a lot too

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
You are moving to North Dakota and are thinking of riding your quad in the winter time ???

Me thinks you might change your mind once you see the snow they get !!! :) LOL

I'd bet you will be riding a sled by the end of the first winter and loving every minute of it!!

I lived in Texas for a few years. Most Texans have no clue what "real snow" looks like!!

Unless you have been north in the winter time, you have no idea what you are in for during your first winter!!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I agree. My substitute for a snowmobile was my 850 because the Outlaw can barely move in most of the snow we get. It's a very poor substitute, but it's better than two wheel drive and I can use it the rest of the year if need be.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
don't listen to them it never gets that cold in southern canada. 30 below with a wind chill factor of 60 below is nothing. my friend in north dakota only has to shovel about 8 foot deep tunnels from his front door to his truck in the driveway, then wait for the plow to come down his road before he leaves for work. walking out the second story window is pretty convenient sometimes when your cat or dog is frozen stiff on the roof. it will be lovely flying along at about 60 miles an hour on your quad in early october through late may, so long as you are wearing heated artic gear :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts