Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my Pred I got a set of these paddles. I am going to Glamis this weekend and was curios if anyone out there has used these and what they think about them?

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I posted about these tires too.. I am wanting to buy a set in a month or so for our duning trip to St. Anthonys.. Please keep us posted on how good they work or not work..When I talked to Maxxis about buying aset for the 400ex they said they are a bit heavy and very aggressive and didnt reccomend them on a lower HP machine and that they were tested on a Raptor..They may be making a lighter tire inthe future they told me,it seems to be the most comained thing abut them was the weight...

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I like my Sand Skate II's. They were awful on my old 400EX because they WERE too aggressive, but they work great on the Predator. However, if you want a tire that's just plain fast, Haulers are it. I don't care for riding on straight-blade tires as much though because the machine can be very difficult to get to turn, even when running Mohawk/Dunetracker tires up front.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Im thinking else sticking with my Turbo paddles(awesome paddle) or a 7 paddle hauler and a V paddle just to play in ....Any one heard how the predator does on BIG dune hill climbs???? I wanna see this thang fly up Choke cherry!!! :):)

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
My Haulers are eight paddle and they work very, very well. I drag race up Competition Hill at Sand Mountain in Nevada, which is a 52-degree hill that's about 1000' long (goes from 4000' to 4500') and the Haulers are awesome. I run 5 mph faster up that hill with those tires than with the Sand Skates. This is radar-verified.

Choke Cherry is a complete NON issue for the Predator on any decent dune tires. "The Wall" is another area of Sand Mountain which runs from the base at 4000' up to 4550' and it's a 65-degree face, and I can climb right up it without ANY trouble whatsoever. Start out in 1st, hit 2nd, and hold second all the way to the top.

I look forward to a trip to St. Anythony's one day this year so I can check that place out. It looks way cool!

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
We are having a big group heading up July 10-14 people as afar as illnois coming, you are more than welcome to join us if you like:).......... When you say a NON issue, do you mean it should make it with np problem??? You will love St. A's... I guarentee it!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got back from Glamis yesterday and it was a blast. The weather was awesome! The paddles worked great, but I don't have any other experience to compare them to since these are the first set of paddles that I have owned. But they hooked up so good in fact that I found the front end coming at times when I wasn't expecting it to!! It does seem to be hard to turn when you are on the gas but I guess thats just the nature of straight paddles. And they aren't heavy, not any heavier than the stock tires. Mine are on Douglas wheels just like the stockers, I didn't weigh them thats just by the way they feel.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
glad you liked them..Were you running duner fronts too? Yeah, a straight paddle is a buit harder to play in than the V paddle but on some of the dunes you really need them.. I would like to have a set of both

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did anyone happen to read the review article of the maxxis Roosters in this months Dirt Wheels mag? I have to say that i am VERY disappointed in Dirt Wheels. That 1 page article was more about Preadtor bashing than about the actual reveiw of the wheels. I have found that Dirt Wheels has been using any chance they can get to bash the predator. They liked the Roosters on any other quad but the predator. They claimed that the steering of the predator with the front roosters on it caused the quad to bite to hard in the sand and made it difficult to slide it. They went as far as to say that the predator was to top heavy and felt "tippy." Then they said they like the raptor better. Isn't the biggest complaint about the raptor that its top heavy. how could it be better than the predator in the sand. I think Dirt wheels is biased towards the predator. Am i alone in this thinking? i am very disappointed in Dirt Wheels. Its no wonder that the ATV world has not gotten the recognition that it deserves when the ones that are suppose to be backing it spend time bashing it. Can't we all just get along.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get used to it, Dirtwheels sucks.

You guys got it easy, I own a Cannondale, that thing wouldnt win a review on there against a Kasea in a drag race. They are very biased. Tho Im suprised they picked on the Predator since their bias tends to follow their bank account and Polaris pays dearly for those full page spreads.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I agree.. I have lost my respect for the magazine lately.. I prefer ATV sport over them for the most part...I guess someone is s;lipping them enough $$$ to say a few kind words... I think Cdale and the predator are both awesome machines

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
I was at choke today on my new roosters and flew up the hill they are awesome paddles. ST.ANTHONY dunes kick ass. I go out about three times a week. SO love to see you all here

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Lucky *******. :)

Hey at least I'm only two hours from Sand Mountain, Nevada. I really gotta get out to St. Anthony's sometime to compare the two places. I was at Little Sahara in Utah a few weeks ago, and compared to Sand Mountain, IT SUCKS. Yeah, it may be bigger, but it's too much like a trail riding experience with sand thrown in.

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rob

Why does Little Sahara suck?
I’m only a little over an hour away so of course that is my preference. The reason I ask is the only place with sand I have ridden is Little Sahara. My friends and I absolutely love it there because of that reason. When we get sick of bowls and hill climbing we all go for a long sandy trail ride. Of course all of the jumping on the trails adds to the excitement. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t have a lot of fun. The next time or if there is a next time look me up and I’ll be glad to show you around Little Sahara. My friends and I are thinking of joining Tina in July at St. Anthony’s. A few of my friends have already been there and they said it is a great place to ride.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Please keep in mind that I said it sucks in comparison to Sand Mountain... okay, here's why. And also consider that Sand Mountain was the first dune area I rode in before visiting Little Sahara. So this is just my opinion, and doesn't mean people shouldn't go there. Sand Mountain is definitely smaller than Little Sahara... it's only 5000 acres. BUT... it has almost no vegetation to deal with (none except at the outermost edges of the area where few people go), and the dunes are much taller and much steeper than anything at Little Sahara. They also MAKE SENSE. See, when we were at Little Sahara, we went out behind the big mountain to all the little dunes. The tallest one I found was maybe 150' tall if that. And none of them really made any sense in their formation. It's obvious that the wind currents there swirl rather than go in a specific direction, since the bowls all formed differently. That can be really confusing, and in a way, dangerous because there are so many of them that it's hard to learn them. I suppose if you spend enough time there you might, but I dunno. Here's a panoramic photo of Sand Mountain that I made back in December. This is viewing the mountain from the north at an elevation about 500' above the mountain if I remember correctly. Anyway, the mountain is about four miles long from end to end, about 3/4 of a mile wide, and the dunes top 600' in a few spots. The steepest side of it is at an angle of approximately 65 degrees, which is **** steep. If there were any quads to be seen on the mountain in that photo, they would be mere black specs. The mountain is really quite enormous. Now, imagine having that thing to play on, plus all of the smaller dunes on three sides (the east side has a real mountain in the way, which you can see on the left of the photo). So... the fact that there's no vegetation to worry about, and you can literally ride all over the mountain. Go up, go down, go sideways, go over the top at just about any point (as long as you know how to deal with major razorbacks if the wind has been strong). Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Well. I have amy review on the Maxxis Roosters.. Bought a set to try out over the wk end, you talk about the biggest POS paddle I have ever used... Sorry no offense, but these paddles were rode on purely sand, rode one day and almost EVERY paddle is tearing off!!!!!! Im sp **** pissed off !!! Maxxis will hear from me tomorrow. I have the reiept to show how long and when I bought them, also have pics of there porr design in cup.. Im going to askl for a replacement which Im sure they will try to find an excise to blame Us for, but Im still going to tell them about this paddle issue. Im going back to my turbo paddle, heck at least with them I can run on anything to a degree and they are tough and last for more than one day.....Sorry, I had to vent...LOL......TINA

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
IMO there are only three paddles to consider...

1. Haulers if you want straight blades
2. Sand Shate II if you want a good V-Blade
3. Sand Sharks if you can't afford Sand Skates.

At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. ;)

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Rob, have you ever even Tried the Turbo paddles????

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Nope... but for all-out drag racing, nothing will beat the Haulers, and for general purpose fun riding, I've never ever had reason to not like my Sand Skates. They have good straightline traction and they slide predictably.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
My only complaint about the Hauler is the design of the cup is all, the separate mold. Haulers are the bomb, I love trying new paddles but I think Ill stick to my Turbos.Heck the price is god too.56.95 a tire.:) So anyone else heard of the Roosters doing what mine did???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts