Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Little Sahara in OK in a month and I am about to explode in excitement. Just can't wait to tear it up in the sand. Is there any tips I can do to get my Predator ready. I've added the pipe and K & N air filter and just dropped it off at the dealership to get my carb re-jetted and fine tuned. thanks in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
The predator is great in the sand. I ride sand about 70 percent of the time here at the dunes at St. Anthony, Idaho, it's 20 miles away. I did drop the front gear to 13, it made a big improvement. I hope your are running sand tires in the rear, I run haulers, stock doesn't cut it, not sure about running front sand tires yet. Sounds like you have everthing else covered. I would run it to be sure the dealer got everthing right, before you go. I havn't gone to a pipe yet, kinda waiting to see who comes up with what. I know your are going to have a great time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This bike rocks in the sand. I ride 100% in the sand. Loosen up the springs on your supension for a plush ride. The sand is very forgiving, but bumpy. If you are an inexperienced rider go for tire such as Sand Geckos which will allow to you to slide around corners, but if you are an experienced rider get Hauler extremes (8 Paddle). These tires hook up big time and you will find yourself wheelie'n out of corners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got back from Glamis sand dunes.The Predator loves the sand. It lands large jumps like a dream.It is very well balanced.You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
So any of you running the roosters? I am curious whether to get them or to just keep our turbo paddles..Ill be getting mohawks too...So anyone heading over to St. Anthonys July 10-14th? Wee have a large group heading over that week. I too am waiting for results of all the pipes.. I talked to CT , Yoshimura and Trinity so far find out a few odds and ends.. a few more weeks and we should know :)

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I was also wondering..... is there shockwears for the predator yet? I need a set if anyone can tell me where to find please let me know...Tina :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only shock covers i have seen out are the polaris ones and shockers.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Front dune tires... mandatory if you ask me. I run the GBC Dunetrackers and love 'em. In back, I run Sand Skate IIs for regular riding, and then switch to Haulers for drag racing.

I also recommend the 13T front sprocket for sand riding, and if you're doing a lot of racing, especially up steep hills, add a tooth (or more) to the rear as well. You can go up to a 40 in back (with the 13 up front) without lengthing the chain, though it's a tight fit.

Rob

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey polaris 4 me....what weekend are you going to Little Sahara? I'm up in St. Joe and we're going over Easter weekend. Just curious, might see ya there.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
hey Rob.......... did you read the DW issue for May? They claiom the front dune tires are WAT too aggressive... I was going to get some Mohawks for the fronts... You think I should still get them? Tina...........

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Yeah I saw that article. I think Dirt Wheels is 100% FULL OF IT. I say get 'em anyway. I run GBC Dunetrackers on the front of my Predator and love them. I won't ride in sand without 'em.

Now... the shark fins are another story. A friend got them and doens't like them. I also tried them and didn't like them. They were only slightly better than knobbies.

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm headed up there April 10 - 13. I can't wait. Last time I was there was a couple of years ago on my 99 Scrambler. It got around good, but, it ain't no Predator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
going to coos bay may 14 thru the 20, but i dont have any money to get paddles yet. should i change anything to the gearing if i use just the stock tires?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Run the stock filter. I say this because I just had a bad experience. Here's my story..
Well I finally broke down and bought a K&N air filter. Pulled it out of the box, oiled the spots that the factory missed and installed it. Went for a ride and noticed a SLIGHT performance gain. Went for a 2 hour ride in the sand and pulled the lid off my airbox. There was sand on top of the filter!!!! There was sand stuck to the carb inlet boot!!!! Needless to say, I was steaming mad. One of two things happened. Either the beads of grease that I put on the edges of the filter didn't seal the area that contacts the airbox OR the sand went THROUGH the filter. Either way, I will never use another K&N filter. Hope you have better luck with yours. By the way, K&N filters fly through the air pretty well. Anybody want one? Mine's for sale..
Take this for what it's worth.. I'd hate to see someone else suck sand like I did. Happy dune riding!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, new member here, but not new to riding in the sand... Question: Im going to buy a new predator soon, ( yea haw ) Curently riding TXR 205R puhing 60+hp, NO JOKE! It apears when riding in the oregon coast the optimum settings are 13/38 gears 170 main WB exh. carb mounted K&N. My quwstion is what pin clip do I need on my needle? I could probobly work it out on my own but if you could just inform me of what would be a good starting point I would be very apprciative.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have my needle in the stock location (middle) a 175 main clampon k&n and a modified exhaust,13 39 gearing running 10 paddle ultra buff haulers. it ran a best of 5.68 at 52 mph at the sand drags. ( on alcohol) on gas it went 5.8

nothing like what your 60 hp honda is though, btw i have on of them 60 hp hondas too! it runs 4.7 at 63 mph on alky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts