Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still very new to jumping. I can do it a little, but it's still pretty unnerving. I read the article on jumping in the newest Dirt Wheels, and while it made sense, it didn't really tell me much.

Anybody have any good tips for beginning jumpers?

Rob

·
Registered
315 Posts
Stand(crouch) before takeoff---if you stay seated you could get bucked into the air.

Try and hit the takeoff square---this way you dont have to worry about side to side, just back to front landing.

Land with the rear wheels just before the front---much smoother ladning.

To correct nosedive--use throttle.

To correct cloudgazing--use rear brake.

If you use the brake in the air---clutch it so it doesnt stall upon landing.

Some ppl like to just gas through the jump but depending on the size of the jump i tend to blip the throttle in mid-air and again as i land.

Like Red said the only way to get better is to practice. Relaxation is the key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep a steady throttle as you launch off the face of the jump.
If you gas it going off the lip you will end up nose high.
If you let off the gas as you go off the lip you will end up nose down in the air.
Keep your eyes on where your going not where your landing .... In other words look ahead up the trail or whatever. If its over 30' land with the gas on a bit to minimize "g" out.
Practice on table tops before going to doubles.
Follow a rider you've seen clear the double to get a feel for the speed it takes to clear it.
Keep your Medical Ins. current.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice one Tres! "Keep your Medical Ins. current." LOL

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope so! I'll post a new thread in the Dunes area when we're headed back out there again.

Rob

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
How high do you guys get on flat landings? There arent many built jumps around here so i jump natural stuff. Another tip id like to ad is that if the jump is uneven, say the right side is higher than the left, it helps to lean to the higher side upon takeoff which levels out the quad usually. I like the feel of the predator for jumping, it lands just a little harder than my bros which has works triple rates with rezzys on the front. Ive noticed that the predator doesnt get height as easy as the ex and ive heard that it is because you want to go far, not high when racing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have went about 8-10 feet in the air and landed on flat ground. I'm 6-2, 225 and it bottoms out on occasion. I still need to stiffen the rear shock some more. Light riders should be able to really get up there and land on flat gorund no prob. On the track i've cleared a 70 foot tabletop and it lands great.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good rule of thumb: Lift off the seat about 3 - 4 inches, gas it evenly through the jump, burp the gas two times in the air, land with back tires hitting just before front tires, hit the gas again and your off and set for the next one. Crouch, Gas, Burp, Rear before Front, Gas. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hear you rob. Its been like 6 years since i had ridden anything on a mx track (used to do the dirt-bike thing). My buddy has a track and it took about an hour and a half for my marbles to drop back down and actually air it out on the jumps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On shorter jumps, I find it helps if I preload the suspension going up the launch by throwing my weight onto the front shocks just before I take off. It gives me more height with less forward travel.

And just to reinforce...... What was said above about being steady on the throttle as you leave the launch.... That's absolutely key.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"Stand(crouch) before takeoff---if you stay seated you could get bucked into the air. "

No kidding, I went over a log a few days ago that was maybe 12 inches tall and I was going pretty quick, after the front was over I just coasted and was sitting down. My friend behind me said I looked like superman taking off from a mechanical bull.... it launched me off the front, ran me over, then drove off as I slid to a stop.

I have been riding a sportsman 400 for a year and this is my first sport quad, I only have about five hours on it and I have to say that there is a lot more technique to riding this beast than a big ute!

·
Registered
8 Posts
One more thing to remember - don't run out of power when it counts. I usually keep it in the powerband going over the lip and give it a nice juice when my front tires are about to leave the front of the jump. Reason being if you don't power over the jump you have a tendency to nosedive. The rest is just feel it out to the landing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Remember to be loose. Dont have a death grip on the bars, you need to be loose to correct any mishaps in the air, sooner or later you will be able to trow the bike around like a pro.

Zack

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
I jump alot of small jumps (that's all there is by my house) I just remember to throttle through the jump and sa soon as I leave the ground I let the quad get in front a little by extendeing my arms and crouching down. I beleive that helps get some distance. I get about 40 to 50 feet off of an 18in jump in 3rd gear. But I usually jump in 2nd. key the more speed the better the jump.

·
Registered
242 Posts
when your jumping what do you guys have your shocks set at in the back like i have mine on 4 and im not getting enough preload and im wheeling right off the table tops and just regular jumps and your front shocks how many times are they unrolled i think mines are at 7 maybe .................

·
Registered
61 Posts
just like everybody else said, smooth throttle, stand up and giv er he**. It usually depends on the jump too. The small lips sometimes have kickers in them so start out hitting it slow and working your way up to faster and bigger jumps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts