Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hawkeye 4X4 with about six hours on it. The machine was sputtering severly above 1/4 throttle on any kind of an incline. Dealer changed main jet to a 142.5. Trail test was good! Here in mid TN most of the riding I do is slow/technical hillclimbing. Just thought I'd put this out there because I know others are experiencing problems.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
If it's only sputtering on an incline, I'm not so sure that jetting is the problem... sounds more like the float might be hanging up. I'm far from a carb expert so I'll defer to the others here who know more about it than I do.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to agree with you on that Rob, I'm no expert on carbs either. I do know a fair bit about how they opearate though. In fact, a float level adjustment was the first thing that I suggested to the service manager. They decided to sit on it and do nothing until hearing back from Polaris tech support. Amazingly though the smaller main jet worked. CV carbs are a lot trickier to figure out than say a simple downdraft. I am pleased with the way it performed. It never coughed once and I made sure to get it as vertical as possible at a crawl. Who knows, maybe them being in the float bowl freed it in some way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts