Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys found out how to install a togle switch on the bike so when you loose your key you can flip the switch to ride? I'm a manufacturing engineer and know that it will take a five position (prong) switch, one for each wire running to the stock keyed switch, but don't know where the wires go and what's what. You can't simple place a switch for the ignition as you will want lights.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Just call up your dealer and they will prolly need the VIN number...my dealer told me they do this when people haven stolen quads before and then they will call the dealer trying to get keys.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I think that he is trying to loose the key switch all together!!

Seeing how the key switch is a simple on/off device it should not be too hard to wire up, get yourself of a wiring diagram and have a look at it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
the two out side wires in the harness

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lost the first key when I gave the thing to my wife to hold at a party (so no one would ride the bike). I'll be dam$ed if I pay $50 for another one. So I'll call the dealership.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
the two red wires in the harness just unplug it from the ignition and you can run a jumper between them they are the outside wires.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ya, I flipped mine and busted the ignition switch all up when I first got my preddy. Took the wire out of the harness, trial and error, figured out which two it was and rode like that for like a month. I finally bought a new ignition switch from the dealership, no questions asked.

Sean

·
Registered
525 Posts
JJ I have had extra keys made before on some of my machs. A lock-smith has made them for $10 to $12 bucks.

later

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None of the lock-smiths around here have a blank that will fit, I've tryed. Also, good info on the red wires, but I would like to make this a permanent switch wich means lights. I'll be getting a wiring acetch soon and will let you know how to do this mod.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for 1 key. I just had to replace the ignition switch and it was 50 buck for the whole thing, snaps in and comes with 2 new keys for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, rolled the pred this morning five min. after unloading from my truck. I busted the ignition and bend the handlebars (more...) so I had to hotwire it to ride for the rest of the day. I unplugged the remains of the switch and inspected the inside (broke wide open, can post pics if your interested) and found that in the off position the two inside wires are connected and with the key on the two outside wires are connected. I stuck a wire in the two outside terminals and rode all day, the only thing is that the kill switch does not shut the fan off.

Does anybody know why the two inside wires are connected with the key off?

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, I put a pic in my profile. The round piece on the bottom is held against the key assembly by some plastic that I left on the trail. The two rectangular contacts on the key assembly make the contact on that round piece.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tmoreau,

Why do you have your suspension compressed with ratchet straps in one of the pics...looks like your drag racing?

CJ

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yup, I was drag racing. My friends decided to strap down thier quads so I sure as heck wasnt going to let them have any edge and did it too. Seemed to help, I revved it to about five grand and dropped the clutch in first gear while cracking the throttle wide open, thats the launch I got. Without the front end being lowered I would probably have had to back off the throttle some to keep the front from creeping too high. I have since started toying with second gear starts but havent mastered that yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So nobody knows why those two center wires are connected when the key is turned off? I know that if you connect them, and also connect the outside ones, the quad will turn over but not fire up. Disconnect the two inside wires and the quad will start and run. I am thinking that it shorts the ignition circuit as a safety?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
You are correct! The two inner wires short the ign to ground.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the pic, tmoreau and all the info. Now if something happens to mine I"ll know how it fix it.

later

·
Registered
429 Posts
To expan on what pb said. The two center prongs (4 wires) are doing the same thing as activating the throttle saftey switch and the tether kill switch at the same time. These wires run to both of these items. With respect to each of those items the circuit is open when in the run position and the tether is attached. If the circuit for the tether is closed or the throttle switch is closed the engine cuts. It's just one more item to ensure the bike is off.

Also...just as a thought. I'm going to use the ignition hole in my billet bar clamp for my tether. I've ditched the key and installed a 20amp water proof switch in the brace under the front cowl. If you look under one of the front fenders (doesn matter which) you'll see a brace at the top that the has three progressivly smaller holes. The top is the perfect size for a toggle switch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts