Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the webcast on the Honda Riders Club of America site tonight. It was interesting but not terribly informative.

What I did learn was that they added a third piston ring, which may cure the problems somebody mentioned somewhere about how the CRF450R motor tended to go through pistons frequently.

What I also think I saw is that the 450R is KICKSTART ONLY. There does not appear to be an electric starter, and there definitely is no reverse. They panned the camera across the handlebars and I paused it on the left side and there is NO start button, just a hot-start lever. Very interesting.

No mention of price. Guess we'll find out on the Honda website in another hour and ten minutes when the details get posted.

Rob

·
Registered
993 Posts
http://reflectweb.reflectsystems.com/templateFactory.aspx?Template=Honda1/Honda1_Launched.htm&WCID=e2a88431-9cdc-4b27-bab0-926e2144dd89&Name=Honda%20Test&BaseRoot=66.150.223.203&Customer=honda

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, the details page is now up... and quite honestly, I'm disappointed.

$6499 and NO ELECTRIC START. I personally won't own one in that case. The whole reason I don't have a Banshee is because it's kick-start. I hate 'em and refuse to deal with 'em.

Hell even Yamaha had the good sense to put electric start on the YFZ450. But Honda wouldn't, nope, and it STILL weighs 350 lbs. So Yamaha has a huge advantage... they can lose the battery and electric starter and use the optional kickstarter and drop 15 lbs. Plus for the $400 price difference you get the fully adjustable shocks.

What a joke. I look forward to tearing them up at the dunes on my Predator.

Rob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here are links to Hondas site with the pics and specs of the new Honda, the specs on the YFX450 and the 2004 Predator if you want to compare the 3 and see the differences.
Honda TRX450R
Yamaha YFZ450
2004 Predator

Just wanted to point out a couple of things on the Honda.
1. The front shocks have piggyback rezzies. they are hard to spot in the pics but they are there. look real good and you will spot them.
2. It is kickstart only. No electric start. But it does come with a battery so it may be possible to rig up a starter if you want one.
3. 1" taller than the Yamaha and most people that race the yamaha think it sits to tall.
Just wanted to mention those things.

·
Registered
434 Posts
http://powersports.honda.com/preview/prevTRX450R.html#

Numbers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey RobG, From what I read it has fully adjustable shocks...spring, compression, and rebound. I am a mx racer I love the kick only...That engine is one of the easist to ever turnover. Kind of suxs that it is only avaiable until january.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Although I like electric start the 450 motor is real easy to kick. 1-2 times cold or hot. I even pushed it with my hand it started it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will keep the predator,still get alot more for your money.But it does look like a nice machine.It is not race ready.You will need 1000 or two to get it ready,just like the 400ex.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
electric start, why do you say it needs a thousand or two? it dont look to bad to me. has the same amount of goodies as the yfz imo. just curious if you know something we dont!

·
Registered
73 Posts
With it being only 46.3 inches wide I would most definetly say it needs a rear axial and maybe A-arms up front just by guessing. Looks like the front sets really high off the ground. And if I raced it, it would get a set of hiper wheels, pro-taper bars, the aftermarket bump up kit(cam, carb jet, and aftermarket pipe, plus a-arms and rear axial.) Just my opinion of what I would have to race it. Oh, and don't forget about ac propegs and front bumper to really set it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it looks like a phat quad, THEY GOT TIM FARR TO RACE ONE! he says it's the best machine he's ever ridden and hopes to be winning races on it soon

·
Registered
160 Posts
i have acrf450 dirtbike, and that bike is the easiest starting 4 stroke i have ever kicked, it usually fires first kick no matter how long it has sat. i plan on getting the new honda, but i ain selling my predator either, have the best of both.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looks pretty nice. Honda's got a good rep for dependability and quality. I think they will seel a lot of them at that price. Reverse is over rated, how often would you actually use it? Not very often. Kick start I personally would prefer because I don't have to worry about the battery breaking ro dieing. If the quad is running good and maintained you shouldn't have any trouble kickstarting it. It's a forward kick, kinda strange to me. I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of it. I think the Predator still has a better suspension. For 2004 this Honda is only a few hundred more than the pred.

I'd like to see someone test a predator with aluminum upper A-Arms and other common parts swapped out with alluminum and weigh it and see then how it stacks up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
mee too!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shakin, What I mean is to get the 450R ready for racing{mx,tt,Flattrack}it is going to cost you another thousand or two. You know; nerf bars,kill switch,exhaust,bars,tires,skids,Bumper,bead locks,wider aixles,jet kit and filter and etc.Even the frame might have to be changed.The frame looks like a modified 400ex frame{Subframe alittle differant}and I dont know if that can handle that 450 motor.That machine is coming out as a sport machine not a race machine.Same as the Yamaha. Dont get me wrong both great machines.I like them both.But your not getting a full race set up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm not a big fan of aluminum upper a-arms. They bend easily and I have actually seen them break. Many Raptor owners have found this out the hard way. One endo or roll-over and the arms are usually toast. The loss in strength is not worth the weight savings. An aluminum swingarm would be nice but they are usually as heavy as the steel ones. I personally think the new Honda is kinda ugly. Don't get me wrong I have always been a Honda fan. I really like the way the fron rezzies are though. You can mount a sway bar for flat-track with out having to turn the shocks upside down - someone at honda was thinking - race.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
electric start, i see where your coming from with that one! but if they were to make it completely race ready, than dont you think it would just end up another cannondale flop. what i mean is in order to be affordable, they have to leave off some of the goodies. but keep in mind, you can buy the hrc kit which includes, cam, carb kit and pipe kit (some sort of spark arrestor), and its still under the yammies price. i think the only mistake they made with the new honda is not having electric start. in this day and age, thats almost a staple for a new quad. even the yammie comes with it, but i dont think that will affect how many people still but this quad, i still want one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts