Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of people (including myself) have complaining about a high shift lever. I used a right angle die grinder (the air tool not the industrial sized grinder which takes 2 men and kid to operate) with a 2" scotch brite pad to polish out some of the metal on the bottom of the lever. This gave me about an 1/8" clearance from the frame when it was lowered by one notch.
And if you wanna get crafty then use the same setup to polish the whole lever. It will give it a nice brushed aluminum finish. Looks pretty trick for only 20 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
N03-Pred-Rider

Nice idea! I also felt the stock setting was a bit high, but had not yet really looked into changing it. How much metal did you have to remove. It looked like it would need a lot ground away to drop the lever a notch on the shifter post.

JJ Gaw

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Hey cool! I like that idea a lot. I think maybe I'll get my Dremel and a few (dozen?) sanding wheels and do something like this too.

Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesnt take much material to be removed to make it fit. With mine it barely touched when in the full down stroke. Grind away only what you feel comfortable with. I felt that an 1/8" clearance was plenty. Make sure you check every gear. I found it is closest when shifting from 5th to 4th. Just in case anyone doesnt know, dont use a bench grinder with a grinding wheel/stone. The lever is aluminum and will fill up your stone and may cause it to explode!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I did mine today. You don't need to remove much material to get it done, that bolt is a PITA though lol. I like it much better.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I "heard" from Gary on this again and he said that Polaris has found out that it is crap and they are on it. It'll be out in a little bit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chaos,

Are you saying that Polaris, or Gary for that matter, will be offering a new and improved angle shifter??

Before I spend any time grinding the stock one, I would rather replace it with a new one....

Please clarify...

Thanks,

JJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gary said that Polaris is making a new one. Not sure on when it will happen though. He did say they were doing it now and wouldn't be long.
-Chris

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good question...

If Polaris is aware of it, they should replace it at no cost. I'm getting a little concerned that Polaris is not going to be as responsive to us owners as they should be.

I feel they shold have made more basic service parts available...like oil filters, o-rings, etc, before they released the quad...This thing with the White Bros. slip on pipe, jetting issues, seat wearing a hole in the air box, and probably the need for a better curve on the black box...I have a feeling that we're going to find out later, as more aftermarket parts makers get in on the Predator wagon, that Polaris is not going to be responsive...

The factory takes phone calls about problems and refer you to the dealers, who say they will have to call the factory, they do, and still nobody knows or has the answers.

I didn't mmean this as a total bash against Polaris, and I still love the quad, but these issues are nagging at me...Have any of you experienced similar issues...

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
[No message]

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Ya your right man. We are pretty much on our own. Which really does suck ass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts