Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dune trip a commin, gotta figure out if I'm gonna need a smaller front, I'm 260 lbs and it says what I have in my sig. ::::::::Remember I'm looking for gearing in te dunes, not what you ran in 1990 on a blaster with a fmf pipe in snow:::::::
Bike:
Mods:
Front gear:
Rear gear:
Rider weight:

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Erik, up the 8 disks to 11 or 12, re jet for your area and try a 38 or 39 rear with stock size rear paddles. IE 20 inch.

I am about your size and run almost the same set up as you cept for the disks on the muff. I am running scat trak 20-10-8 10 paddle rears and wanted a little more gear on the rear sprocket. A one size smaller front is too much I think but need to re-test now that I have my gears in stock.

A lot depends on what rear tire you are going top use, I don't have any experience with the sand stars, but the scat's hook like crazy!!!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Erik,

I have the 20-10-10 9 paddle Hualers and the Sand Star fronts. I run a 13t front sprocket and am putting a 38t rear. The 13/37 I have now works good but for the dunes the 38 rear should give me alittle more torque. I also have 8 disks in the w/b pipe.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am running a 13t front with stock rear sprocket. It is a nice set up for woods but it really kills the top end.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am running a 13/37, dont think it hurt the top end at all the way people talk about it. Great in the woods but I really have never been to the dunes. I had this gearing when I was stock and now with the listed mods, with the mods I would like to go a little closer to stock maybe, like 14/39. I dont think I could ride the pred anywhere with that tall azz stock gearing now that I have seen the light.

What I'm saying, go two teeth larger on the rear no matter where your riding, you'll like it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
im running whatever is stock, i run mostly 3rd and 4 th gear while duning, and pull olds easily in 4th, if i had a pipe or some work done i would change the geaing though

·
Registered
993 Posts
9 paddle hauler extremes, 11 disks, k/n w/ airbox mods. I liked the stock gearing the best for all around dune riding, 38t for the drags. I tried a 13t up front and had the 14t back on within 10 minutes, too much tirespin and too big of loss up top.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you also hit the rev limiter all the time with a 13t up front

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I dont have that problem with a 13/38 tooth of hitting the rev limiter you have to be quick!:) The problem i did have with 13/38 with my sand sharks was it would sit and do alot of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd in drags. But then again those paddles arent the best for dragging either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i ride almost all dunes, profile says what the bike got, i find that 14/40, or 13/37, which are almost the same exact gearing work great. stock gearing bogs to much for steep dunes, i weigh 240 - james

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run totaly stock with a 13 tooth front sprocket and Gecko paddles, works great
dune in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear and i'm in 4th before i hit the top of Olds in Glanis

·
Registered
57 Posts
my dealer said to run a 40 tooth in the rear and leave the front alone. on order let you know. 270lbs glamis only

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have played with this alot and I am only 15 lbs lighter than you. 13/37 is the best set up I have found for shooting the hill at Glamis. I like 14/37 for pure duning but you need to be in the powerband most of the time. Depends on your riding style.

·
Registered
57 Posts
isnt 14/37 the stock gears

1 - 14 of 14 Posts