Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that your front end lifts up at different times? When I lift up my front end with either a jack or just me, my right front tire leaves the ground first and gets about an inch off the ground before the other side starts to come up. What could this be?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check to see that the collars on your shocks are adjusted evenly. Measure the threads on each one. Hope this helps as it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Check to see if theres any slop/slack in your suspension. The bushings have some play to them at the shock mounts from the factory(which I'm not happy with by the way), but if your getting that much slop I'd check your shocks to make sure the internals haven't somehow come disassembled......

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I noticed the slop in the shock mounts and also the a-arm bushings too. Polaris need to have tighter tollerences! I don't know how I would check for slop in the shocks. I have taken them out and checked them and they seem fine. Maybe I've bent my frame and it's twisted causing one side to lift off first. I have this one occasion in mind where I ran up on a 4' wide by 2' deep trench doing about 50 mph and kinda hit the other side of it pretty hard. Maybe it's the balljoints? I don't know.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Frame cracked????? get a level and check the frame.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The frame isn't cracked. I checked it with a level last night at the frame bars between the a-arms and it was 1/16 off level which may be transfering it out to the tires at 1". I checked a couple of other spots, and they seemed to be o.k. I did notice that one of my nerf bars was out of level too the same way the frame is but I really don't think you can count that being that they are bolted on. Check your frames just in front of the pro steering box and see what you get.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I checked both of my machines, they are right on level and the wheels leave the floor at the same time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I checked several places on the frame, sub-frame and everywhere I checked was off level the same amount!! Now how the hell would this happen? I hit the face of a small ditch about 4' wide and 2' deep and that's it. Kinda hard but not to do this. Also if that would have done anything I think it would be just the front end somewhere. I am almost willing to say that it was fabbed that way. It's like the whole quad is sitting on a slant, to be overly imagined. I don't think there is anything I can do about this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is it possible the rear swingarm got twisted somehow causing the whole quad to sit sideways by 1/16'th? That is the only thing I could think of that would make it sit crooked.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I saw a new yamaha 450 with a bad hiem joint doing the same thing. he replaced the joint and problem solved.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys, I put everything back together over the weekend and here's the damage. BTW, the axle is level so that tells me that the swingarm is o.k. I put the level on every surface that is flat and found that the frame between the a-arms is 1/16 out, the top motor mount tabs are 1/8 in. out, the sub-frame where the seat latches is 1/4 in. out and the handle bars have a 3/4 in. height difference. I knew about the bars, but never put 2 and 2 together. I've came to the conclusion that the whole bike sits to the left side between 1/2 to 1". Never wrecked the thing. It just sits like that. Made sure all tires have the same amount of pressure and all the shocks are set the same. I even measured all the ball-joint threads protuding the castle nuts and they are all the same. One thing I did notice is that the tie rods on the right side of the quad is longer than the one on the left which should make the quad sit the other way but maybe Polaris had to do that to make the tires align right to make up for the crooked frame. It just looks like to me that the frame was jigged and welded at a slant.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haulin, hearing your story pisses me off that they did a workaround for it instead of redoing it the right way. They probably thought you would never find out and just trying to save a buck. I'd take pics and write a letter to their quality assurance manager, but I'm starting to think they don't have one.
Those QA guys are brought up to be picky and very articulate. He should fly off the wheel from your story.

Dale

·
Registered
46 Posts
My tires leave the ground at different times also, one side lifts first. I happened to back into the garage instead of driving straight in and the other wheel lifted first. It wasn't the quad, it was my uneven garage floor, lol.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the low-down...I used a calibrated level and angle finder and leveled the axle. I then worked my way to the front of the quad and found that the swing-arm pivot bolt is level, the back/bottom of the frame is off 1.5 deg., under quad on the motor mounts is off 1.5 deg., now going to the sub-frame interface on top of the frame... the very back of the frame is off 2.0 deg., top motor mount off 1.5 deg., between the motor mount and the steering stem on the frame is off 1.25 deg., now going to the rear a-arm pivot bolts 1.25 deg., front a-arm pivot bolts is 1.0 deg., and then out where the bumber attaches is off only .5 deg. Now on the frame between the front bumper and front/bottom motor mounts in three places is off 2 deg. So the whole frame is leaning approx 1.5 to 2 deg to the left while sitting on it. Now that doesn't seem like much but when you take it over 50 inches it's quite a bit. I lifted my left front tire until the frame was level and it ended up being 4 inches off the ground!!!!! What the hell? I have been thinking about how I could have done this and there is just no way that I can think of. You would have to take something and push the whole quad to the left evenly. I just don't see how I could have done that!?!?!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RobG, Sport, and a few others have had the same thing on theirs. Check this out...

http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=2&topid=40&thrid=653#p4398

http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=thread&catid=1&topid=42&thrid=783#p5331

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been reading all these posts on the frame and decided to check mine. I have had the bike for a week and have only ridden it for 1 hour (so brand new). If I measure @ the handle bars, I am 1/2" off. I then checked my 400ex, 300ex, and 2 blasters, and all my bikes where 1/2"-3/4" off. I then compressed the suspension one time on the Pred and measured again and now to is only off by 1/4". If I lift the front end off the floor, one side does lift off first, but by only a very small amount. I feel this is pretty normal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts