Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what trail systems would offer the most bang for the buck?

any recommendations on camp sites?, would be posting a tent

noise regulations? vehicle regulations? is a trail permit the only thing I would need?

etc etc

·
Registered
75 Posts
http://www.trailsheaven.com/

That's the main link, just in case you haven't already seen it.

here is the link regarding the rules:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/about/hatfield-mccoy_trail_rules.aspx

You shouldn't need anything more than a hatfield trail permit. They are rather strict about the rules, helmets, goggles etc, but we never saw a ranger out on the trails.

We rode the rockcastle trails. Once right after they ran the dozer over all the trails, and once a couple months later. The trails get beat up pretty good due to all the traffic and erosion. They are rocky and some are pretty rough. If you haven't ridden in the mountains, it is different. We used to travel from Michigan to Windrock in Tennessee, and if it h been for a friend we met down there, we probably woulda gotten killed, lol. We didn't find any of the difficult trails at rockcastle to be too difficult, but your mileage may vary.

You can travel to either end of rockcastle to get gas or eat. Man at one end, gilbert at the other.

This is where we stayed and you can access the trails from here:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/accommodation/accommodationpackagedetail/HatfieldMcCoy_Quad_Camp__Gods_Wilderness_Campground__Inn__Bunkho,90.aspx

One thing about that place, when we were there, alcohol wasn't allowed. It was not a big deal for us, but is for some. There are other cabins and places, that was just the one we stayed at.

There are over 90 miles of trails at rockcastle...more than enough to keep you busy for a few days. There another trailhead you will pass on the way, called pinnacle creek, but the trails there are not very challenging. Since I live in that area now, we ride on pr property right across the street from pinnacle and it is very scenic.

You'll probably come to Charleston and head down HWY 119. It's a pretty ride down through there, especially if you hit it in the fall with the color changes.

IMO, Hatfield is perfect for people coming from out of state. You get a map and a specific area to ride in without wondering if you are somewhere you shouldnt be. There are so many free places to ride, I havent been on hatfield in a couple years. I'm like a kid in a candy store sometimes. You won't regret the trip here.

Hope that helps....Scott

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
We rode the HM once, three years ago. LOVED it, but I have friends that live down there and we ride the free areas now and love it even more now.

No rangers to mess with you, no paying $80.00 some odd bucks to ride one time a year, Etc Etc Etc.

If you have never gone there, do it, but remember this, what your riding on, is only half of what can be ridden on as far as toughness and such goes!!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,086 Posts
I have been to HM three times, had a good time every time.

We stayed at Devils Anse camp ground and it is right at the trail head for Dingus Rum. We also rode Rockhouse right before they got the tunnels done.

They have maps for all the trails so be sur eto get them. this will help you to know the skill levels of the trails and were you are at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im currently in WV right now. We have been here since Sunday. Rockhouse is a good system as is the Pinnicale one. There are "easy" trails and extreme double black diamond ones. Everything is rocky, so sport guys will take a beating. Im glad I went with the IRS lol...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts