Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased an oil cooler an am going to install it on my pred. im hoping to drop 30 deg off the oil returning to the motor. any advice in this area would be great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not really pieced together. i had a costom size cooler built for me by a cooler maker. i dont want to say who it is yet because i havent installed it or tested it to see if it works like its supose to. im waiting to see what polaris has to say about it before i put it in. i dont want to rune my 5 year warrenty.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
CFM is supposed to have a larger capacity aluminum oil tank available soon. That should easily help temps too. Keep us posted on how that gear works though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wonder if the oil pump will be able to handle pushing that oil through more hose and the cooler?

·
Registered
455 Posts
The oil pumps that are put in quads are no slouchers. With the crankcase drain plug removed from my Honda, I once thought it was a great idea to crank it over to push the little bit of oil left in the bottom of the crankcase....dont try this at home. LOL

Anyways, the oil shot outta there like there was no tommorrow. lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 400ex has an oil cooler on it, doesn't it?

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I think the air-cooled quads pretty much require an oil cooler to keep from frying the motors.

Makes me especially glad the Predator is water cooled. My 400EX used to get awfully darn hot. I also just recently put a coolant temp guage on my Predator. Looks pretty sharp mounted in the left fender. On the dunes, my temps will average around 200-210 deg but will on occaison hit 220. Once the fan kicks on or you go downhill (light load) it drops it to 195.

Rob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rob where did you get the gauge+temp package from, I saw it in a magazine a while ago, but havent been able to find it.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
It's the J&T one that was in the magazine... $69 for the mechanical one. Works real nice, but isn't illuminated. Not a big deal on a sport quad, though. Rob

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ESR (Eddie Sander's Racing) also has a nice billet unit with a liquid filled gauge. A bit more, at around $80. You can get them in quite a few different colors. The one drawback, you really can't monitor on the machine, you have to lean over to check the temp. Picked that up with some other thermocouples for some testing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Anymore news on the oilcooler? I would like to hear more about it. The engine oil on these machines run 40 deg more than the water temp. Would be nice to get it to run cooler, more ready for a big bore that way. Thanks

·
Registered
993 Posts
Has anyone tried using a four stroke tech oil cooler? they claim a 40 degree drop in temps in other bikes. Not sure if they offer one for the predator yet.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Just got the CFM oil tank the other day....just had to hit it with the buffer, Oh baby! Nice piece. The added volume of oil, and added surface area to cool should do wonders. To update my earlier post, the ESR temp gauge is easily visible while riding.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I got one of there oil tanks also, any idea what the piece of protective tape they included is for? I did not see any use for it and the tank came with no directions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
No protective tape with mine...I'm just gonna take my time installing it tonight....have a little tour to take tomorrow. :D Don't forget, the shop manual suggests you prime the oil pump anytime the supply line is disconnected. Basically pinch off the return line w/ a visegrip. Run the motor 15-20 sec. at 3000-4000 rpm. Stop the motor. When you loosen the visegrip, there should be an audible air escape. Puppy looks nice with the buff job.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'll have some pics coming up....I know I keep saying that, but things have been nuts.

The protective tape should probably go about 1 inch aft of the radiator on the diagonal frame brace. Also, if you have nerfs, I'm putting some dead center on them. Do yourself a favor and just remove the cooling fan, and your head-pipe for better access. I even reemed the holes in the aluminum motor mount to accept 1/4" bolts with self locking nuts. I've had the tank bolts out to loctite them before, and I still found one getting loose. :D Titanium bolts went in, of course. Also had the access (with oil lines off) to finally change the last of those long engine mount bolts too. I gotta find some scales. hehe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts