Polaris Riders Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Looks like you had fun. put in your sig what your running. Did you go to a 13/39 gearing ?

what jetting are you using ?

the stock carb is good up to about 65 hp witch is more than anyone I know is getting out of a 558. no stock bore preds are known by me to make that much. if you get the dyno jet you will pull 3rd with a pipe,k&n filter and 13/39

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was using 13/37 gearing with 170 main, pro circuit pipe, Uni filter on d2 moto and dynatek cdi

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Cool pix and videos! I'm now here at Glamis in Wash 16. We did a quick ride today between 2-5 pm (25 miles), and the rest of the crew shows up tomorrow.

My 525 IRS is doing good on my new Sand Star V-blades. They still hook well enough to lift the nose pretty much whenever I want.

BTW... don't feel too bad about your Predator -- the sand here is ridiculously soft. It wasn't anywhere near this bad over New Years. It feels like I'm riding with the front brake locked most of the time. Half the sand is "normal" and the other half is super-soft, power-sucking crap. Come back when everything evens out more and it'll run a LOT better.

How were the whoops at Olds? I haven't been out there yet. We hit Brawley, then went north and to the west of Olds, then up to Osborne, and then across the dunes just south of the road. Over New Years, the whoops at Olds were at least 2' high, it was insane.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
I'm surprised you could only pull the hills in 2nd with that 13 tooth sprocket, I ran third gear with 14/40 (similar to 13/37) on most of the hills down there and we have similar mods as well. The most important thing is that you had fun and got to see how the pred does against the competition....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The whoops at olds are still bad but I have seen them worse. I was also surprised that I could only get 2nd but 2nd was really strong. Like I said above my 2nd was like others 3rd so I was able to hang with others or even beat them. I have some things to do for next year to get it where I want it. Other than that it handles awesome. It was comfortable all day. I rode my buddies 450r and I can say it was not near as good of a ride as the Pred.

RObG,
Have you ever went to patton valley or Buttercup? That sand is super soft and they have some good hills with no whoops. Its a long trip down sand highway but we did it 3 times.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The wall is in Buttercup right? We did go to buttercup but not that far into it. We were playing in some huge bowls but we had to turn back because gas was getting low for some and we had a long trip back to vendors row where our camp was.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
Did you go to China Wall in Glamis? Now THATS a steep mofo and really soft.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes we hit China wall. There are some hills that are steeper in Patton Valley but not as long. Hopefully next year I will be set up better to pull 3rd.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
China Wall is fun, but it's not as steep as "The Wall" at Sand Mountain in Nevada. That's the eastern side of the mountain that is up against the "real" mountain ridge. Plus it runs all the way up to 500-600', which is taller than anything here at Glamis.

I actually think there were some steeper spots at Lizard Hill or Brawley Slide, but i don't remember for sure.

Between the CV boot and transmission problems on my IRS and rain inbound tomorrow, I'm probably going to back up and be out of here by noon. I'll go for a quick ride in the morning by myself (I want to hit some Geocaches that are nearby), and then start packing.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
how did this years sand dune trip go? i was waiting to here about it on polaris pros, but i am no longer a member there. could you post some pictures and a ride report for your epic journey here.

i was hoping to hear you gave the hondas, yamahas, and suzukis some competition and was able to pull third gear on the steep stuff.

plus i love your videos and would like to see some more.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts