Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried going to a 13/38? If so what did it do? A friend went to a 38 on the rear and said he lost 2MPH off of top end. Out of the hole when we raced it depended on who got the whole shot as to who was in front. I wonder if you go down 1 in front and up 1 in the rear if it would make a difference worth trying? THANKS

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Going down one tooth in the front would make him slower on top end. Going down one tooth in the front is like going up 3 teeth in the rear. So if he lost 2mph with a 14/38 gearing, he would lose at least 6mph if he goes to a 13/38.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I agree that such a gearing change reduces top end. I'm running 13/38 gearing on mine, and my top speed (on radar) is 65 mph. That's downhill against the rev limiter in 5th gear.

But the reason for this is it makes me much faster up the race hill on the dunes against any other Predator. So far I'm by far the fastest Predator at Sand Mountain. Heck, I raced a Raptor with a Trinity 686 kit and only lost by 3-4 lengths. Not bad at all against a quad that has about $9000 invested in it (including the cost of the quad of course).

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts