Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering what gear ratio was the best for drag racing I'm running 14/37 stock gearing and I also have 13/37.Does any one else run these same gear ratio's or do you guy's run something diffrent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For 300 ft. drags I run 14/42 gear with Maxxis 22-11-9 4-snows and come off the line in 2nd gear. To get the 42 tooth rear sprocket I had to modify a rear sprocket for a Kawasaki KX250, if you go larger than 40 you won't be able to run your stock swing arm gaurd.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your going to drag race heres a few more tips, run the largest sprockets possible to obtian the gear ratio desired, the smaller the the sprockets the more power it takes bend the chain ( chain bending effientcy), also run a non o-ring chain for better chain bending effientcy, the o-rings create friction between the side plates and robs hp. I've seen bikes radar 5mph faster in 300 ft just by using large sprockets and non o-ring chains.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that I also run 14/40 but I want to know is what's the best gearing for top end also in case someone whant's to run till top end thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is no gear ratio that will give you both acceleration and big top end speeds. If you gear up one tooth you loose exceleration if you gear down one tooth you loose top end. I woould say for best ( all around ) performance stock
gearing is pretty good but that depends on what your running on ie: sand or hard packed dirt also tire diameter and how aggressive the tire is can effect gear selection.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok so if you go up a tooth in the front you gain top speed and loose acceleration. If you go up a tooth in the rear you gain acceleration and loose top speed.

Is this correct ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts