Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This tore in half twice this weekend while riding.
It tore where you press it on the gas cap.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm thinking about running a nice steel line instead of the stock.

·
Registered
394 Posts
mine is fine but the dealer put some ghetto ass setup istead of his because it was tearing.

Zack

·
Registered
48 Posts
mine tore as well and what sucks is you have to buy the whole gas cap assembly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I put a picture of a scrambler 400 fuel gauge gas cap in my profile. I also reroute the vent hose.

Later

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine tore right at the fitting. I now leave more slack and I'm sure to pull the vent hose out of the dash when I take the gas cap off. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
147 Posts
CHILLY, how accurate is that gas cap?

·
Registered
525 Posts
where you see the fuel gauge arrow at, the tank if full (it's top out in the picture). When it shows reserve, you will be switching the fuel value over. The reserve is dead right on. I could have made the needle say full, but I wanted the reserve. I had to mod the gauge to make it fit. The cap scerws on fine. But I had to cut 5/16 off the float arms (slider) to make it fit. Re-cut and rebend the needle arrow. I put about 3 hrs into this mod.

Later

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
My vent hose would tear off a the metal tip it presses onto at least once every time I'd go riding. I think I lost a good 2" or more off the length of the hose before I finally said enough and replaced it with one of those heavy duty after market vent hoses from the ATV accessories store. Cost me I think $2.

Rob

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
mine has been replaced twice now and needs it again.GRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
119 Posts
mine was breaking to till i rerouted it to the side

·
Registered
453 Posts
The reason the hose breaks is it slides down in the steering stem/dash hole as you ride and gets torn off when you turn. Put a zip-tie on it or a couple wraps of electrical tape so it can't slip and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
993 Posts
This item migh solve the problem also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10368&item=2420061842

·
Registered
525 Posts
Update on my gas cap mod. The twister came out of the bottom of the holder on the cap. So I thought **** I will do a quick fix on it. So I pulled the float off and looked at it. (I always mark things, top & bottom) But I thought what would the gas gauge look like if I put it up-side down (float). Hell it now reads when the gas is totally full, or when it hits the big (R) you will be putting it on reserves when it hit the big (R). I feel pretty bad about this. I sure hate to say I do'nt know it all. Oh well, this mod does work real good, now it's great. I should remake these and sell them. J/K

later

·
Registered
253 Posts
how much was the cap Chilly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine did this twice. Now I leave a big loop before it goes into the plastic and it hasn't done it since.

·
Premium Member
4,878 Posts
mine broke too...then I replaced the cap it fuel started shooting out the bottom when i rode, jumped, wheelied, whatever...it ended up needing a new gas tank (warranty) I just got it back yesterday after a week and haven't done any extreme riding yet, but that's for tomorrow ..

Just thought I'd let everyone know that you see gas coming from under the cap ....YOU nedd a new tank

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine did this twice on our ride in Park Falls last month on the 12th. One of the guys I rode with worked for Polaris (Superfly, Really cool guy) and said it was because my hose was too tight. We pulled more out and it hasn't broke since. I guess I didn't leave enough slack when I upgraded to the Trail Tech bars.

I don't remember who's ATV we spent more time chatting about. His or mine. He rode a Yellow SP700 with Mudzillas and a big winch. Let me tell you that machine looked sweet!!! He liked the Trail tech set up too. His wife makes Predator parts. :) I did buy a snorkled Antifreeze cap off him to keep the gunk out of my radiator when playing in water.

Hmmm... Wonder if they need IT people at Polaris. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
mine kept breaking also, due the reasons mentionioned above. tube gets farther into the hole and when you ride, it is tight and it breaks. I replaced mine with a clear tube that is about a 32nd of an inch smaller and slides in and out of the hole much easier and I have had noe problems since.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts