Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Scrambler 500 4X4

Can I use regular oil in the engine? Like Regular Mobil 1 auto oil?

How about the Tranny? What's the best oil?

How about the front gear case? What's the best oil?

·
Registered
227 Posts
i wouldnt use regular auto oil, id stick with atv oil, the only oil i have found to match polaris weight is Spectro atv/snowmobile Platinum 4 , and amsoil atv/snow. The gear case is 80-90 i believe

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking "Mobil Clean 5000 10W-40" Pretty close in weight...

Is there something else I need to worry about besides weight?

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Shouldn't have a wet clutch, so it should be fine.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Tranny and Engine do NOT share oil... and no clutch...

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I'm no expert here, so maybe wait for someone thats more experienced with these quads.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I use the Rotella in my Scrambler golf cart. Works just fine. Any oil will work as long as it has similar weights.

The gear case I used the 80w-90. I think Polaris recommends chaincase oil.

The front gearcase should be the same as the transmission since it doesn't have the 4wd activating parts in it (still in the hubs in 06).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, is the transmission just a gear case? Very similar to the front gear case... I was kinda thinking like a car tranny but I guess the tranny on the scambler is really the belt, pulleys, clutch, etc...

"since it doesn't have the 4wd activating parts in it (still in the hubs in 06)."
Does this mean the gear case is ALWAYS turning? So, even is not in 4WD mode...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Yes, that's correct on both parts. The transmission is simply a gear case and the front gear case is always turning. One way to demonstrate this is to put the machine on ice and with it tied to something, give it throttle in 2wd. The shafts will spin that go to the front hubs, but the tires won't. When they moved the activating parts to the centralized hillard, the shafts do not spin when you do this.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Ya, they have electronic hubs I believe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh crap!

I just found out that the front hubs also have oil!

I've never done anything with it...

What kind of oil can be used in the front hubs?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I would only use the hub oil from Polaris. I'm not sure what it would cross reference to but I wouldn't take the chances with something as sensitive as the hubs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I went ahead and got the Polaris Hub oil.

For the Front gear case and Tranny I am thinking of going with Redline 75W90 High Performance Gear Oil.

"This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions or tranaxles, since the extreme slipperiness may cause synchronizer mesh issues that lead to shifting problems"

This "extreme slipperiness" 'hehe' would not be a issue for my purposes, right?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I would only use the hub oil from Polaris. I'm not sure what it would cross reference to but I wouldn't take the chances with something as sensitive as the hubs.
"Type F" Transmission Fluid... according to the service manual.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! I never noticed that!!!

I guess I'll stick with Polaris Hub Oil since I don't kknow of a good Type F fluid...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question Polaris lovers can you switch a 1995 Polaris Explorer 400cc with a 1998-2000 Polaris Sport 400 also are the clutches the same? Both these engines are a two stroke engine.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts