Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the safety switch on the throttle- how do I disconnect/go around it? I have to have my thumb on the throttle at all times or it kills the engine. I like to start the bike and put on my helmet, etc while it's warming up- kind of hard to do with one hand on the throttle! Can a person just go around this switch like a neutral safety switch? Or can you just adjust something to keep the detent switch engaged all the time?

·
Registered
200 Posts
all you need to do is adjust it... i aint quite sure how.. but its inside that little black box... its kinda like adjusting a clutch lever i think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pop the top off the electronic throttle control. Be careful of the little o-ring inside the cap, it may fall out. Look inside there and you will see two little contacts. They are probably touching. The idea is to have them really close without touching. They kill the engine when they touch as a safety feature to keep the throttle from becoming stuck wide open. Follow the throttle cable down about three inches out of the etc box and you will see a little bulge in the cable. That bulge is where you adjust it. Slide the rubber protectors off the locknut and sleeve and loosen the locknut. twist the sleeve down the threads and you will see two little contacts moving inside the etc box. Get them apart just a hair so they dont touch together. This adjustment is done with the throttle at the home position (no thumb on it). Call me at 888-342-3673 if you need more help.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
even simpler, unplug that baby and tuck the wires somewhere up under your plastic, no more electronic shutoff. what i understand it works quite well, what you have to do if you put on the hardrock or hpd aftermarket throttles.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
i agree with vortec57 unplug it!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would say you need to fix it, like right away. What if you cash and your mach has got the thottle WFO. Not a pretty pic, mite be a life you save.

later

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with Chilly. You may not care about safety but think of the people you may be pointed at when you get bucked off and the throttle is stuck wide open. I also recommend the tether kill switch

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had the same problem with one of mine messing up, I talked to Rath about it and he said he had to same problem with one of his bikes, he never said to unplug it, for obvious liability reasons, but hinted towards doing so. I unhooked it, problem solved. The way it is designed to work, it would not be very likley for this saftey device to prevent a stuck wide open throttle. the contacts should not touch, if adjusted properly, at wide open throttle, unless the throttle breaks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
as for unplugging, i agree think of safety, anyone who does any racing should have their tether switch working, as most tracks require them, just as good as a throtle kill for falling off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For a quick test, unplug the electrical connector for the ETC switch at the throttle. If the bike still dies, your idle speed adjustment is set too low and needs to be raised a bit. After the test, you can then plug the ETC connector back in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had planned to go to a teather when I do this- I agree that safety is a top priority. As far as the idle being set to low, that's not a problem- as long as I touch the throttle and take up the small amount of freeplay (1/16") it idles fine, before I ever move the throttle cable. I just don't like the fact that when I stop I cannot take my thumb off the throttle or the bike dies. If this is the way Polaris designed the ETC, I don't like it. If it is malfunctioning I suppose I should take it in, as I have about 1 month of warranty left. BTW, thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Take it in and let them know you think the etc contacts are touching at idle and they need to be adjusted. They way it SHOULD be is that is idles with your thumb off the throttle. Call me if you have questions. 888-342-3673

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know what the wiring should look like? Brown and black wire running to key switch but previous owner destroyed key switch when trying to change location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts