Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an EZ Loader boat trailer that has some fire damage with the intention of making a deck for it and using it as a 2 quad trailer. The 18' car hauler is a bit much for moving one or two machines around...

I've got 6' between the fenders so it will have to be a side loader. would the "trailer experienced" think allowing 4' width for each quad is enough? Would putting electric brakes on it be overkill?

TIA

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I would say about 55" each quad in case you put aftermarket wheels on, my sp700 is 53" wide in the rear. Need room to pull on and off etc.

My SL8 is a little over 100" long I believe.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I'm with Jimmy... if you can, go with 52-55" per quad just to have some breathing room. My SP800 is exactly 48" wide with stock tires, but my Grizzly 660 is 52" wide with 27" tires.

I built my side-load trailer with an 11' deck. The first 2' (almost) is taken up by a toolbox, so that leaves me 4.5' per quad, which is ideal. When I only carry one machine, I load it from the back because it doesn't squat the back of my tow vehicle as badly.

BTW, it's worth noting that my SP800 weighs more in the back than in the front. That's despite having a winch, a flat fuel pack on the front rack, and the front toolbox full of stuff like a crowbar.

As for brakes, if you can afford it, do it. My Haulmark 2-place enclosed snowmobile trailer (tandem axle) has brakes on both axles. I've about decided to pull one set of its brakes off to put on the little side loader that I built, because two sets of brakes on such a tiny trailer (it's shorter in actual length than the one I built -- the box is only 9'8" long) is overkill.

Rob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds good, thanks! I was thinking in this sort of region but I forgot to actualy meausre my machine last time I rode it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts