Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have coolant pooring out of the weep hole on the left side below the pump housing towards the top of the motor. Took it to polaris dealer, they called polaris and was told it was a cracked head. Polaris also said there have been many of these claims and they are aware of the problem. This really sucks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen drippage out of mine. Not much though. Runs fine.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Wow, that's very interesting... a cracked head huh???? Sounds to me like a material defect, unless maybe the thermostat is failing and the head is being starved of coolant.

Rob

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine started out dripping out of that weep hole also...rob..remember we talked on the phone about this. Took to dealer...they replaced a mechanical seal which the manual calls for. Then on sunday it just started to pour out...I mean pour out. I got a chance to look at the head myself early today. Yes it is infact cracked by the spark plug hole. The weep hole on the shifter side of the bike is designed if somthing like this happens, it will not drain back into the engine but leak out of that weep hole. when my dealer called polaris they knew right away what is was, no questions asked. They said some of the first ones out had flaws in them and they are aware of the problem, how many, they don't know. When it started just to drip I thought this was just normal break in..and the system was just purging it's self. I am not trying to freak anyone out just letting you know what is going on. I hope no one has this problem because I have been just sick since the weekend. ;{

·
Registered
27 Posts
ut oh, I haven't even had my TLD predator for a week. Before I bought it, nothing was wrong and it was the best quad out. Now that I just got it, I am seeing a list of problems, why does stuff like this happen? Maybe it's a sign.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all,

The questions I have are:

1. Is Polaris is going to warranty it properly, with no cost out of pocket to us.

2. If the rest of us start having cracked head leaks, 2 days after our warranty goes, what then?

3. What VIN #'s are affected by this KNOWN problem that we are just now learning about, and how many heads do they know of that have cracked?

4. How long has Polaris know about this issue?

5. Why didn't Polaris notify the owners of suspected "early flawed heads" of the problem, and get them in to repair before they get stuck in the middle of the Gobi Desert?

I hope Polaris will realize the WE, their customers, will appreciate their honesty about a known problem like this that they discover, and support their good will efforts to notify and repair.

As I said on another forum, if this motor takes a crap on me, for any reason that substantial, I will try fitting a CR500 2-stroke in the chassis. I like the handling and other features on the Predator enough to keep it. Hey, the Honda CR500 motor is Japanese also, so I guess I won't feel that bad about a motor change. Fuji, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, all same-same to me...

Good luck to you meyerz, we're all waiting to hear the results of your sad ordeal.

JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
keep us informed. this is the first I have heard of this problem and I know atleast 6 guys who have preds including me.sorry to hear about the problem know how you feel.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
After seeing how they very quickly replaced seat covers that were discolored from fuel. I don't think the replacement is gonna be a problem. The insiders I've had contact with are VERY adamant that this thing is gonna work, and they're gonna stand behind it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Meyerz, how many hours did you have on the pred when you noticed this problem? Where and how hard did you ride?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed it starting to leaked at about 5hrs. I ride mx and trails. I haven't raced the pred yet so not very hard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Meyerz, How long after those 5 hrs did it pour out? mine showed drippage 10hrs ago.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey PredatorNOS500

Have you compared your Predator's build date with meyerz'?

If this is a problem that is really related to "early build" Predators, the build date might show where you sit...If your build date is way, way later than meyerz, this could be a much worse situation for all of us. Thus far, the only SURE THING is that Polaris Industries IS NOT contacting owners that might be affected by this problem, or we would have heard about it on the various forums from other owners.

Have you spoken to your dealer about your situation, and what has he said?

Maybe MODQUAD can contact some of the insiders he knows at Polaris Industries and ask them directly about this head situation.

I personally am going to write Polaris, via certified mail, return receipt, as well as an e-mail, and request specific information about this matter.

JJ

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks JJGI5150, I will look it up and compare.
I'm going to the dunes today for the weekend. Hopefully I will not have to get towed back to camp.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weep hole I have been talking about is a hole bored from top of spark plug hole. It is desinged for moisture that collects in the spark plug hole. So there should be no coolant coming out....just maybe a drip from assembly. This is what I was told. I looked at the head myself and I now understand there point. So if you have coolant dripping out you most likely have a problem. Also the local polaris mechanic just returned from trainning school and asked about my problem. He was told there as been about 20 claims of this problem. It is a machining flaw that will start out dripping then it will crack more and pour out, like in my case. All's I can say I'm glad this happened in the first 6 months. Also here is the parts side of the issuie. Polaris will not have any heads available till april 7th, but gary from superbike has a new head he is sending to my dealer. I thought that was very cool of him too help me out like that..........I will keep you posted on the rebuild.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody else have this cracked head problem? I am curious on the build dates because mine was built 12/04/03. I haven't had any problems yet, I am just curious to see if the predators with this problem were built before mine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have fluid dripping from my weep hole where the radiator hose connects to the water pump. Is this the machanical seal problem? The quad runs real strong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts