Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I pulled my clutch cover and basket and all to install a new timing chain. When all was said and done my clutch wont engage at all now and also my shifter isn't working. Is there something not lined up...shifter set up? Clutch plates? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did take the clutch rod out (Probably didnt need to) and was messing with the shifter and all with it out. Im guessing something just isnt lined up right. Do the clutch plates go back in a certain way? The shifter wont do a thing. Its almost as if its not even hooked up or something.

· Premium Member
4,620 Posts
when you pull your predator clutch basket or outlaw with the 500 fuji engine. check out your shifting assembly and how it should and does work. when you get the clutch basket out, do not mess with your shifter or clutch lever. you can get this assembly out of sorts then when you reassemble you will not be able to get it to operate properly. it will either be stuck in gear or stuck in neutral.

then be really careful and line up the oil pump gear really good with the teeth on the back of the clutch basket otherwise the front may line up but you can bust off your oil pump gear when you tighten it in. i know have done it twice since 2007.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to fix the shifter. Mine dont look like that at all...but it had slid off the little pin that moves the transmission and i can go through all the gears now. However, when I reinstall the clutch plates and springs, then pull the lever...I get nothing! Tried adjusting the cable...no change. Do the plates need to go in a certain way? Maybe I need to just get a new clutch kit. Im just confused as to why the clutch wont work when i pull the lever in. I think it has something to do with thew clutch rod. Any help on this clutch issue is needed and appreciated! Thanks Leo for the reply!

· Premium Member
4,620 Posts
if you are using a stock clutch basket then the last clutch plate needs to be offset from all the others and fit in the slot in the end of the basket basket. not where the rest are inside the slot in the basket.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my set up needs to look like the picture? I have this same manual...and my shifter set up don't even look like this. I'm sure I can figure out what is out of line...but any exact clarity would be great...I have the mechanical ability...I'm just learning this machine as I go.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a pic of my set up Leo. Maybe you can take a look and help me out some more. After I took the basket off...i was kind of lost because its so different from the pictures you sent which are the same ones in my manual. Thanks for all the help so far.

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,620 Posts
ok i am sorry my picture is of a 2003 predator for some reason i had it stuck in my head that you had a 2003. i see that is a 2005 or newer. your name preddy05 makes more sense to me now. sorry i am kind of thick headed. i still think one of those pieces or arms is not connecting correctly down there. if not maybe just your rod is not in right. please let us know when you get it figured out.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well I got the clutch working again. It was a combination the rod being in wrong and the piece that pushes the pressure plate out being on the wrong side of the plate (noobish). Now my shifter is giving me trouble. It keeps slipping off that little pin behind the basket that it rides on to move the transmission. Idk what the problem is with it. Also, when I do get it back on it and reinstall the basket and all, it will go in and out of neutral but wont shift into reverse or up through all the gears...any help on this new issue would be great. Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
4,620 Posts
you CANNOT mess with the shifter and the clutch cable/lever while it is apart it will continue to get out of wack.

you need to put it in neutral and get all the linkage lined back up properly. install the clutch basket clutches and the cover and then try it.

it only takes a tiny bit of movement while it is apart for it not work once it is back together. if the clutches are not installed in the clutch basket it will not work.

· Premium Member
3,009 Posts
He should be able to spin the crank shaft over or even the transmission input / output shafts, while working the gears thru with the shifter to see if everything is shifting smoothly.

But I would not try using the clutch lever itself while the cover and clutch are off.

My best guess, and it's just a guess, it that something is out of time in respect to the star wheel or the linkage that shifts the transmission.

· Registered
1 Posts
All Coast Car Rental providing you, your family or your guest with an affordable car rental that comfortably fits 6 to 8 passengers with lots of extra room for your luggage and shopping trips. Or you can rent a compact hatchback, sedan or SUV for your travels.Having been in the car hire industry for so long, Jimmy and Lizzy pride themselves on their personalised service. Making it easy for family’s to feel like they’re on holiday as soon as they arrive at the Gold Coast Airport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts