Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealer's today and I asked him what was the best thing to clean the caked up dirt from my chain.He told me to take it to a car wash and pressure wahs it.When I told him that I had already tried that he sold me a can of this chain lube stuff.Now maybe I'm really green but how does this grease remove grease and caked on dirt.I really need help because the dirt is caked up on my rocker and I'm at a lost.My cousin told me to spray some degreaser it but I don't know so I'm asking for you guy's help

·
Registered
455 Posts
I lift the rear of the quad on jackstands. Turning the wheels and spraying WD-40 on the chain at the sametime. I spray the chain until its soaked with WD-40. I then wrap a shop towel around the chain. Holding the towel with a tight grip, I turn the wheels again...letting the chain drag through towel. I repeat this whole process two or three times. After the chain is clean to my liking, I then spray it down with fresh chain lube.

Hope you find this method helpful.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.I talked to a friend and he told me basically the same thing except for the chain lube.I don't think that the wd40 is enough lubrication for the chain though so I'm gonna try your suggustion.Thanks Red......

·
Registered
343 Posts
Use Kerosene and a soft brush..should come real clean. DONT USE high pressure sprayers..BAD BAD BAD for O-ring chains...Also use a Chain wax..seems to work better..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's I decided to try the degreaser and it worked.It removed that waxy grease from the chain along with the caked on dirt.I'm going riding tomorrow and I didn't want to ride my bike with all that dirt on the chain.I used the chain lube wiped off the excess then reapplied it 3 times.I'm happy with the way things turned out so far,but I might not after tomorrow.Thank you guy's for your suggestions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does the Pred have O rings in the chain? If so, you better be careful with the chemicals!! Some chemicals will eat away the rubber O rings.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Speaking of the chain.....I heard that you should get it real clean and don't put any lube on it before you take it to the dunes, because the lube will make the sand stick to it and screw it up. Any thoughts????

·
Registered
36 Posts
RED, I should have my Predator by summer (keep in mind I'm in North Dakota, so summer is a few months away). I'm currently trying to sell my Warrior and a car that we rarely ever drive so that we can get out of the payments. I'll use the cash from those to buy it. Are you happy with your Pred? Not that it really matters, but how does the Pred compare to the Raptor? Which is faster? I'm just trying to get a feel for how fast the Predator is. Maybe comparing it to something I've ridden will give me an idea as to how it performs.

J_Man, I'm not sure if what you heard is true or not, but it seems logical. But then, what is keeping the chain lubed? I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the chain should always be lubricated in order to function properly?
Maybe RobG or someone else that frequents the dunes can help with this one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts