Polaris Riders Forum banner

Clamp on, or Air Box Mod ???

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  scott_b 
#1 ·
I have been looking at the Hard Rock air box mod and the Air force kit but i have seen many people just using a clamp on filter, what one works better and is easier to find a jet settin ? Thanz

#2 ·
THe problem with the clam on it it can have too much air flow, when you clamp directly on there is not much negitive back pressure on the slide so when you just hammer it open it can choke. However once you figure out how to lay into the throttle is is much better. I ditched my airbox because I hated it's huge bulkyness. When I did my clamp on I also did the 'clip 5 coils and drill out the holes' mod, I think that has a pretty large part to play in the stutter off the line. However I think the clamp on made a huge differance compaired to the airbox mod. Plus I'm not talking trash about HardCore but that airbox mod looks to be about the same as 6 to 8 UNI vents.
Jettings a pain in the arse either way.

A clamp on is not what you want for riding in any wet conditions.

I dune thus I don't need a huge box to keep water away, I just bag my filter when I hose the bike off.

Hope this helps

#3 ·
'clip 5 coils and drill out the holes' mod...... what are u talking about when you say that ?? also i have rode in large amounts of water before, and i plan on goin through it whenever i see some so maybe the Clamp on isnt the way for me to go, Do you think the AF kit would be better than the Hard rock or is your opions the same on both ??

#4 ·
TrueBlood500 check your e-mail out, let me know what you think

#6 ·
ArizonaDuner..... Yeh take a pic sry my e-mail is messin up, thanz

RNGMSTR.......Alright But what are UNI-vents?? can u explane thanz

#7 ·
uni-vents can be purchased at most atv or dirtbike parts stores, they usually come in a pack of 6 for like $5-$6. you just drill a hole and pop them in, they have a piece of foam that you can oil and keep the dust out quite well. Take a look at www.jlatvproducts.com under airbox vents.

#8 ·
The "Clip 5 coils and drill out the holes mod": Pull the top of the carb off, the big kinda shiny gold thing on top, that big ass coil spring, clip 3 to 5 coils off it. Pull the slide out and there are 2 holes in the bottom of the slide, drill them out to 1/8th inch holes, i.e. using a 1/8th inch drill bit. You'll need to remove the needle to do this safely. Put the needle back in, put the slide back in and the coil back in and your done, a quicker reving preddy is what you'll have. If you do a clamp on it will end up looking like this with either a K&N or UNI filter, note large areas of unprotected filter, not good for water, even in some motorcross tracks where mud is plenty.
**The author is not responsible for any damage caused by this mod nor any effects of permagrin from being able to roast the tires like a banshee.

#9 ·
Man.....I'm always a day late and a dollar short. I had this apart last night making this mod. I keep looking at putting together guides for people and forget. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

Hey Erik....I see the crack in your plastic. Is this where others are seeing it? Mines cracked in the same spot.

#11 ·
Yeah Kevin, it sounds like lots of others have had this problem, I got mine froma slow motion roll over the first hour I had it. Litterally I laid the bike down upside down as if I was just setting it on top of myself. However someone told me thier "mid-season" Preddy does not use that has a mount to the frame for the fenders, I'm guessing a design change thats prolly found in the 04 as well.

#12 ·
Hey Erik..would this mod work on a stock pred? or would you need a pipe and filter to get any performance out of it.

#13 ·
It would work on a stock one without a pipe, it's pretty similar to the 400ex's pull off the air box lid. Presto about 1 hp gain, however your going to run into the fact that now you have the ability to get alot of air into the cyl. problem now is the stock pipe is pretty restrictive. It can be done and it can have an impact though not as much as it does with a pipe. But for a $30 mod for the dunes it can work out great.

#14 ·
Ok, im curious..$30 mod? What costs $30? From reading the instructions its simple pull out the spring, cut it, drill out the holes and put it all back togther. Maybe im missing somthing here.

ALso..so this wont effect performance in a negative way at all will it? I dont want to ruin anything. Would i need to re-jet? Again, my bike is totally stock, paper filter and all.

What does it do exactly? Just allows the bike to rev quicker? How much faster would the bike be..you say 1hp..so not much..just better for furture mods then eh?

#15 ·
I think Erik is refering to going with a clamp on filter as well. Not just moding the carb. These types of carbs are used a lot on street bikes. They are intened to be squid proof. By allowing the slide to open at a different rate than you hiting the throttle (unlike the direct attached slides) it slows down the opening and fuel delivery. It should be noted though that once you start messing with the intake system be prepared to keep messing with it. All of the elements in the intake system work together. Stock machines are setup to work best in all conditions. Changes in humidity and air temp will greatly affect a moded machine. If you're not prepared to change you jetting with changes in the weather then the gain won't be worth it.

#16 ·
Ok..so where i live with the varying of temps, its prob best to leave it as is then eh? Thanks...

#17 ·
bump..im still curious about doing it..but again..my jetting is stock, as is my bike..i drive it year round, i'd rather not jet for every other day weather.."wanna go bikeing.."..."sure, just let me re-jet my carb" ;)

#18 ·
i did that mode today havent riddin with it yet i will 2morrow and tell you how it works thanz..... I havent done a AirBoa mode or a Clamp on yet i might wait till after winter so if i just use a clamp on i wont get anything wet ......

#19 ·
please..keep me posted! love to hear how you make out with it! Like i said, i dont want to do anything that will be a pain in the a$$ later!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.