Polaris Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
thats funny Deadman, No I have no relation to that bitch.
I probley could do quite well making this mod and selling it. It seems that alot of scrambler and trailblazer guys want me to make this for them.I hope I get a chance to ride it this weekend so I can report how it feels.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
yeah no joke, if you could find a pile of 400l engines i think you could do well on these. i would also be all for a light weight twin cylinder sled engine with electric start.

oh yeah don't forget take it easy for a mile or 2 before you start launching it hundreds of feet. i am sure your welds are good just don't try to get killed right away.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thats the truth. I will not be skying it right away,or at least I'll try not to. You guys know me very well,If it holds up to my abuse then it can handle anything.

I do plan on installing a snowmoblie engine in it if all works well. I just do not know how well the scrambler trans will hold up to that kind of horse power. Although I know its been done before. I really want one of those liberty motors 600 700 800 or 900. I hear the 600 is best . I really want the efi and power valves.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Their CFI engines are NOT what you want. Get the older ones with Carbs and Power Valves. They had all kinds of driveability issues with their CFI (fuel injected) engines. They stumbled, and studdered, and cut out on bumps, etc.
The Carb'd motors were the best in the business back in the 2000-2005 ish years.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I did not know that Thanks for the info deadman.What about the rotex from the skidoo's they have efi ,how is their efi system? I just really do not want twin carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
my buddy the skidoo guru swears by them they are his favorites and he rides them all he is not just a brand lover. he just has the most trouble free miles on the rotax skidoo and likes to hop them up because they hold up to the added horsepower and abuse according to him.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Don't be afraid of the twin carbs. They are almost easier to jet and tune as a preddy is.

"IF" I was gonna build one of those kinds of bike I would have absolutely no problem going with a liberty 600 motor. I'd look for a used 02-06 motor. They were the best years. In stock form they will put out 120 HP all day long!! :)

If someone was crafty they could do away with the scrammy transmission all together and just mount up the sleds secondary on a cross mounted jack shaft with the front sprocket on the other end. No need for a transmission or a reverse gear when reverse is built into the motor.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Here is my 2004 Semi-Direct Injected Ski-Doo Rotax 600cc motor. "Supposedly" the best thing back in 2004.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Blew it up 3 times in 5,000 miles, it was completely BONE Stock.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
I would say the Polaris Liberty twins are MORE than Twice as reliable as the Rotax Motors. I ran my 2001 Liberty 600 Twin for 8,000 Miles and never had a single problem, and had a pipe, can, reeds, clutching, etc done to it. Zero motor Issues in 3 seasons and 8,000 miles.

Then in 2004 I bought that Ski Doo with the SDI motor in it (fuel injected).
I ran that sled 2 seasons and 5,000 miles and it blew up 3 times. Warranty rebuilt it twice, and the third time they had to send me a short-block! :) I sold it before I fired that motor up. Then, I bought another ski doo motor, but a Carbed version 600cc twin. I ran that 3 or 4 years, and it blew-up 4 times. So, I personally Hate Rotax motors. They are making cutting edge technology now, but I still don't trust them for reliability.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Good info there . I wanted the efi over the carbs because of space,and because im sick of jetting carbs(even tho Im good at it) Im not worried about it ,Im sure the carbed 600 liberty motors use VM mikuni's(round side).I know those carbs inside and out.as for the jack shaft,I have thought about it.I will save that idea for a full predator frame with a snowmoblie engine(the next build)For this build I think it would be cool to use the scrambler trans for afew odd reasons.like deadman stated reverse is built into the motor, With that in mined,running the snowmoblie engine with the scram trans Will allow me to have a low speed reverse and a high speed reverse. I will also have a high speed and low speed forward. Not that I would need it But it would be something.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
The older Liberty motors didn't have Reverse, they received the reverse patent from Ski-doo after they won a Lawsuit against ski-doo (forget what it was for now). So, its basically a copy of ski-doo's reverse, so the motor just backfires and it re-fires running backwards. Its pretty cool.

My buddy has a 2000 Polairis with the First year of that Liberty 600 with the Power-Valves. He has 15,000 miles on it, and the speedo was busted for 3-4 years. He thinks the motor has 20,000 miles on it. Still runs strong, and has NEVER even been re-ringed, nothing done to it. F'n amazing! :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
so I took the quad out on its first test ride. WOW this is awesome!!!! I never could turn the old scrambler under power(throttle excell) it would flip over. Now I can turn the bars and the ass end just slides when on the gas. It handles the woops way better then the old scram and is way more powerfull, do to the the power to weight improvements. I have to reclutch the trans because of the weight but its no big deal. My first push On the throttle resolted in me pulling a wheelie and almost falling off the back. all I can say is awesome awesome awesome, this thing ripps . I just hope it stays together.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So how is it working out, Team?
Have ya built any more of these frames?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
To tell you guys the truth I haven't really done anything to the recyler lately.from my last post I had to redo/build a shock mount for the rear shock. I didn't like the ride hight when I went out and road it. Now the rear shock can be adjusted for ride hight and I can also use different lenth shocks. right now she sits with the stator cover off and the flywheel removed. I have to get head light to work on her ,so I have to replace my stator...after that I need to put a intake hose on the clutch air intake..

As for building any more frames ----No I haven't built another..Yet... I plan on making another frame but almost 100% predator frame .. Plans are in the works.
A 100% predator frame can be done but I would have to build a jackshaft set up. another words I'd need two sets of chains and sprockets. I do have a plan that would use the center sprocket carrier from a older 4x4 scrambler for the jackshaft chain adjustment, This idea would help keep the chain and sprockets on the clutch side.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
thanks for the update brick. i am fascinated by your 400 projects. i love those things. my 400 just got a honda master cylinder and an asv lever. i also picked up a 2004 polaris predator rear shock to go on it. my stock one is totally blown out from over shooting our landings. my mods are small one of these days i am planning on building a high comp fire breathing big bore 400. for now i have enough projects.

so how is the outlaw doing is the engine ok?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
not sure if the engine got hurt, but It for surely had a tare in the intake boot. as you know that will cause it to run lean, Im sure the piston took some abuse by that happening , However the day it happend ,I pushed the air box and carb as hard as I could to the boot to seal the leak and get home. It ran fine on the way home,and luckly it was only a 10 minute ride to the truck. She never overheated, however it does look like wate got between the boot and the carb and it looks like it was happening for awhile.... I think I'll just get a new boot and see want happens . If she is hurting after that i may use the warrenty I got...... I was thinking of just buying a new piston kit and dropping it in but I got to make up my mined weather or not I want to void the warrenty.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bricktucky use that warranty while u got it. Hell why pay for something if you ain't got too. That's what I would do. Put the new piston in it after the warranty is up just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
yeah i agree. if you have a dealership that actually honors the warranty i would use it. new intake boot, gaskets, piston, rings and cylinder. that is the way they should fix it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I here you guys but I don't trust any dealships anymore. we just can not get good techs/machanics in NJ anymore.Thats why I do all my own work. The engine seems fine on the 525 she ran awesome all weekend.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts