Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to modify the intake my Predator because that little 1 1/2" hole just doesn't flow enough. I really liked the Hot Seat kit but not the $200 price tag. Here's what I did. I took a 3" piece of pvc pipe and a coupler (slightly larger diameter), cut them to size and glued them together with pvc cement. After it dried, I put the unit in a vise and slowly heated it. I then cranked the vise down to make it oval shaped to match the stock air intake and the filter I was going to use. I then clamped a K&N filter from a Banshee (The one that fits the stock airbox), clamped it to the small end and clamped the stock air intake tube to the larger end. I removed the stock airbox and bolted the new filter in place along with a crankcase breather filter. I jetted it and that was it. It works great, waaaay more power down low where the quad needs it.

So far it has worked perfectly. Total cost was about $20, since I had the filter already and just had to buy the crankcase filter. I put some pics in my profile if anyone is intersted in doing this themselves.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
great idea been wanting to do myself should work awesome

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I would like to do this mod as well, the only problem is I am not that mechanically inclined. I would probably screw the whole thing up. LOL

·
Registered
429 Posts
mdepdawg,

I'm sure if you asked nice someone would bend the pipe for ya.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey mdepdawg. Did you ever get that info on the fire/police games?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Yeah Rocketchp I did thanks. The Mesa Az Police games are this October and they have a Motocross division for bikes and quads. I am trying to get the information together to find out what the rules and regs are. I'll let ya know if anything works out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey Rocketchp: Great idea, I been there already. Want to add 1 1/2 more H.P. on this mach. Add the Tornado on it, yea I know. But it increased mine by it.
I did'nt bolt mine my filter though. Just clamp it.

later

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chilly, What's the Tornado?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It's a (seen on TV engine performance) about $60.00 Hell I was doing a dyno on my mach, and thought what the hell. They did'nt charge me anything else to run it. So to speak of, I guess they thought I was going to change jets. But my plug was already there.

later

·
Registered
394 Posts
Chilly I have seen thoes Tornados on TV and I just thought it was a scam. But hey it really works. Never thought that would happen on a paid program item.

Zack

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I find out about this tornado thing? What does it look like?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ive read a lot of reports where them really do nothing, im suprised that you got a gain of that much out of it. wonder if it was a fluke, or the smaller bore single cylinder benifits from it more than 6 or 8 do,

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had only one run with it on(tornada). Wish I had more $$$ for more testing. Maybe when someone gets thier mach dyno. They can try it, I would send you mine. But it's back in the family car,haha.

later

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought the K&N RF-1001 filter to attach to the intake tube similar to the design of the Hot Seat Kit. If you measure the shear amount of filter area it is almost 3X as much. The filter fits nicely. I will see if I can make an adapter that is durable. I am half done with an adapter that would use the bottom half of the airbox to be secured to. It needs to keep pressure on the intake tube also. PS. I removed the last plate on the E-series disc system and put the quiet core insert there. Seemed to me about the same thing as a race cap end. It seems to be snappier and is is too lean now. It also is pretty loud! I will update when all is finished.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JJ let us know how it works.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rocketchp...? I had a question about your mod. Do you think you could have left the box in for added protection against water? It rains like hell in FL ? I deffinetly like your Idea then compared to the clip on the way it sits higher and away from water intake.As you would guess I still want that power ! Thanks let me know.......Jim

·
Registered
409 Posts
The Hot seat setup worked great this weekend. I noticed snappier throttle response and more power vs. K&N drop in filter. Before, I had extensively opened the bottom of my airbox so the only restriction was the square K&N filter. The RF-1001 is alot bigger and by keeping the stock manifold piece you get a better and more uniform air velocity into the carb. I used a 50 pilot and 200 main jet. It was too lean with the needle dropped down to the 2nd clip so now I have it raised to the fourth clip. I did have to turn down the fuel screw some and I think I am still a little rich at the top but it runs strong. Continued tweeking is in order. Note: It took me a coupe of iterations to get the manifold to stay on my homemade adapter and I sucked in some unfiltered air several times while testing...ie If I knew it would work this well, I would have spent the extra money and bought the kit. On a separate note, I was jumping farther cause of the power I had in 3rd gear and subsequently broke my frame....F_?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nardone32, I'm dont know if it will fit with the airbox in it, I haven't tried it. That's what I like about this set up though. You can put the box back in in a few minutes. jet it to a 155 and it's good. (20 min tops)

·
Registered
87 Posts
guy's just mods my air box look at the pixs in my profile

cost me $2 canadian (even cheaper ha ha)

i use a 2 in hole with a abs plubing fitting

yesterday mods

kn drop in filter, dyno jet kit 180 main jet,fmf titanium blue annodize pipe,stainless mid pipe,13 tooth front sproket hpd steering dampner

1 word to discrib the mods VIOLENT

sorry for my speeling (french frog)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good. I guess in Canada It's a little wetter than here in sunny CA. I'd gladly trade you weather today, 102 degrees - yuck!! Great option if you needed to keep the airbox.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts