Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though my other trailer isn't finished (or even started for that matter), I'm starting to think about a trailer to pull behind the ATV.

A few years ago, I had a really kick-butt trailer -- a Mountain Goat Trailer (www.mountaingoattrailers.com). This thing is amazing... it's tough, well-designed, and was meant for use in extremely technical terrain.

Given that a new one will cost $700 + shipping, which puts it at the $1200+ price point for most of us, I figure I will clone the design except for a few changes.

The frame is 2x2 boxed steel and the "railing" (for lack of a better term) is 1x1 boxed. The floor dimensions are 22" x 72". One change I'd make would be 26" wide for the floor, since today's ATVs are wider than when this trailer was designed back in the late 90s.

The tongue would be the same funky angle design they use, which is great because it allows for steep uphills without the tongue rubbing the ground. I would like to make the coupler a Pintle design, except I'm not sure if I can get a pintle hitch for the ATV that is small enough to not weigh a ton.

The part I'm unsure about is how to clone the axle. One of the neatest features is that it's a walking tandem design... single axle, which branches at each end out to two wheels. The axle and wheels can rotate 360 deg, allowing the trailer to "walk" over obstacles.

I've been considering going with a three-wheel-per side design, thus giving a little more ground clearance, and making it easier for the wheels to walk. If anybody has ever seen the movie from the 70's called "Damnation Alley," and you remember the Landmaster vehicles from it, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. :)

So... whaddaya think?

Rob

·
Registered
800 Posts
I know what your talking about, the guys that do the jeep jamborees and such have those tough little all terrain trailers they pull. I was wondering of there was anthing out there for an ATV like that.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
I picked up a setup on ebay, I have it in the garage, then I fitted it with some large tires that are usable on the street or in the dirt. I doesn't have any suspension, so it will bounce, I'll have to go slower. But one of these days I'll weld up the bed for it....

I already have an Otter Super Express trailer, tilt bed, etc. Works like a charm...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts