Polaris Riders Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
looks to me like you are building one sturdy trailer. those look like nice welds as well. i hope everything goes well.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's done! Well, mostly. It's now officially usable. It has two coats of paint (needs more, badly), the deck is bolted in place (unpainted), tie-downs are on, storage box is bolted on, etc. In the next week or so, I'm planning the following: - Build and install spare tire mount
- Add stake pockets to all four sides
- Add something to the rear of the trailer to cover up the open frame channels

Later on:

- Wire it for brakes, even though it doesn't have it yet
- Add a 12v constant wire from the tow vehicle for some accessory lights
- Add 3" round recessed loading lights into deck (two per ATV)
- Add lights inside the toolbox for nighttime access
- Add a light on front of toolbox to shine onto hitch/spare tire area

I'm already making plans to extend the deck another 18" so it'll hold a third quad with the toolbox removed. Probably do that over the Winter, as it gets pretty hot all dressed up for welding. Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Good job Rob, wanted to see what that finished project looked like. I'm going to build one over the next few months, just have to find the time and the cash to do it. I guess I'll buy the pieces, tongue, lights, axles, etc over time and then go out and buy the steel...then start welding away.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks!! It was a fun project. I'm already finding myself toying with designs for my next trailer, even though I don't really need one.

I still have some work to do to this one... I'm going to add some more bracing to the sides of this one... some 2x2 angle iron from the subframe (as I call it) out to the sides underneath, plus I'm adding a 2" receiver hitch in back that will let me carry my bike rack and mountain bikes, OR tow a small second trailer, since that's legal here in MT. Plus I'm gonna add stake pockets and build some short sides for it so it can be a utility trailer.

But like you, I just have to find the time...

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just joined the site tonight and liked this first thred. Trailer lookes great and I also want to build a three place out of steel. I just had a quick question on how you cut in those recessed lights and what size steel you used in the final plan?

Trailbound in Minnesota.

·
Registered
143 Posts
isnt it heavy though.. ???
We have to tag anything over 2000 lbs in kansas. So I built mine from 2x2 angle Seems plenty strong enough for 2 quads.. we have hauled 2 no problem and like you wishing it was a bit longer so I could get 3 on it sometimes... but usually put one in the truck bed and 2 on the trailer..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like your axle is too far forward? What dimension is it set at vs the length of trailer? If not careful you won't be able to go over 45 mph

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't have the equipment nor knowledge of what you are doing you are best buying the trailer
isnt it heavy though.. ???
We have to tag anything over 2000 lbs in kansas. So I built mine from 2x2 angle Seems plenty strong enough for 2 quads.. we have hauled 2 no problem and like you wishing it was a bit longer so I could get 3 on it sometimes... but usually put one in the truck bed and 2 on the trailer..
Looks like your axle is too far forward? What dimension is it set at vs the length of trailer? If not careful you won't be able to go over 45 mph
Hey people. Look at the dates. I think after almost 7 years, you're barking up the wrong tree.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts