Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking into buying a new predator. I read on another forum about atvs that the a-arms and axles are weak and have been breaking a lot. Does anyone have any information about this? Please let me know if you do. If he does buy one it will just be trail-ridden and not raced so hopefully nothing will break.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you talking about the Predator breaking parts? If so, where did you read it? I own a Predator and have never heard of one breaking anything.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
The Predator's axles are beefier than any other sport quad out there... also there was ONE case of a cracked weld on an A-Arm early on, but it was determined to be a defective weld.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
If you look at all that guys post(psycosis), he slams Polaris all the time. I wouldn't trust his advice at all. He has been the only one to say that the suspension is weak. It just makes him feel better, because he has a KFX400. He needs to tear down the Predator to justify himself buying the KFX.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL that is kinda what I was thinking too. I want some proof of all this before I make up my mind. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I NOTICED ALOT OF PEOPLE AREN'T GIVING THE PREDATOR ITS PROPS!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's because they suffer from Predator envy. Not like those two 400 machines which are bending and braking frames...not flaming here, just look around, it's fact.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Let everyone bash the Pred, i have owned one of each brand of machine out there, except the cannondale. I like the Pred the most, it is almost impossible to turn it over in the corners, it is VERY RELIABLE, no problems here. Everyone just knows that polaris has the best quad out now and jealousy is kicking in, or denial of not having one. The Predator is the only way to go for overall atv performance. The lt z400 is a little better on handeling, but the lack of power made me lose interest fast. As for the A arms braking, the only way they will brake is if you are doing some very very serious jumping, but any quads a arms will break at some time or another if you ride hard. I have heard of 1 a arm braking, but this guy landed wrong too, on a huge jump. The pred is very reliable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello. I'm new here, but I would like to add to that A-arm discussion. I have heard Psychosis rattle on about how the suspension sucks on the Pred. I jump mine quite often and have never had one problem with it. The only thing I heard was a guy taking 75 foot jumps and he came down on one front wheel and cracked his A-arm at the ball joint. That's right CRACKED...didn't break....only cracked. Supposedly he had it welded up (didn't even buy a new one) and was ready to go again. The only problem I have is the suspension (way too stiff for me), but I'm adjusting that little by little and it's coming around pretty good.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I too found the suspension to be a little on the stiff side when I got mine, but you're right, once you play with it for a week or so, you can get it to where you want.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
I race my Predator in the gncc races I have bent a a-arm but never broke one.I seen a guy hit a tree and shattered the back hub but did not hurt the bend axle.I raced alot of quads I think the Predator is the best Race Play Whatever ATV you can buy. There has been a problem with overheating and the starter swiches were sticking and burning the starters up.I changed my swich to a diffrent one and I put engin ice antifreeze in for the over heating.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you read that thread the dates are from early Nov and the predators werent out til December.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't bust an a-armk, my dealer says that it is on back order. Polars will get it in 12 days and who knows when my dealer will get. I broke it bad to, so now I'am out a quad for a couple of weeks. I hit a tree stump, while doing a hill climb.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know they cost a little bit, but the front rezzies really wake the machine up. Before I got them, I hit a double at a local riding area that isn't kept up very well. On the back side it was washed out from standing water and people going through it, so, without water in it, it was about 12 inches lower than the rest. I landed in that and before my suspension could bring my front end back up, I nosed into the back side of that wash. Needless to say, it looked like a plow went through there, ate about 6 inches deep by 12 inches long and slowed me down to a negative 5! I had to stiffen up the suspension to keep it from doing that. After I added the rezzies, no problem and the suspension was a lot softer.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
my dad hit a tree fourth gear pinned with my pred five days after i bought it. he hit the left a arms straight on, no bumper, nothing. they both bent but i did not even know until he told me and then i had to look real close. i would say there pretty strong! that was a month ago, dad still hurts and i had new a arms the next day. the machine heald up better than dad! lol. he is ok just sore!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts