Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. first, when it comes to anything electrical I don't know anything...zip, zilch, zero, nada. That being said this may seem to be an elementary question but refer to first statement.

I have a 2005 2500 H.D. I am installing a Hopkins (Hoppy) brake controller. My dilema is that the harness that came with the truck has 5 wires, the controller has 4 and other than the ground I don't know which wires go to which so I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

The truck harness wiring tag says
DK BLU Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output
RED Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery Feed
BLK Brake Controller Ground
LT BLU Vehicle Stop Lamp Switch to Brake Controller Input
BRN Brake Controller Illumination

The Controller says
White Ground
Blue Trailer electric brakes
Black Positive terminal on battery
Red Cold side of stop lam switch

·
Registered
453 Posts
DK Blue and Blue
Truck Red and Black
Truck Black and white
Controller red and Lt Blue
BRN-not used

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
The four wires, fwiw, do the following:

- The wire from the controller to the plug at your bumper which controls the trailer's brakes
- A 12v power wire
- A ground wire
- A wire off of the brake switch that tells the controller to send current to the trailer brakes

It sounds like Powerslider got you the color mapping, so hopefully that'll get ya going. BTW be VERY sure not to reverse the polarity when you hook it up... that means accidentally putting the white wire (ground) onto 12v and the black wire on ground. That'll usually fry most brake controllers.

Rob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't the brown wire tie into the red / black combination. It seems to me that if that is power coming in then the brown wire would also send power to the controller to illuminate it?

The truck harness came with the truck in a towing package. It plugs right into the fuse box, I just have to connect the wires correctly and I should be all set. To your point Rob, that's why I want to make sure I wire correctly. I hate to burn $60.

I'm picking up a 8 x 16 cargo trailer on Saturday and it has a tandem axel with electric brakes. This will be a first for me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't connect the brown wire, it will only be hot when the vehicle lights are on. If your contoller had separate internal backlighting then you would use this but it needs another wire which it doesn't have. The controller will be illuminated from the battery feed...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I knew I came to the right place for good info.

Good thing they make the connector able to only go into 1 opening in the box under the I/P. There were 4 openings so I plugged it into the one it fit into.

So far it seems to be working correctly. When I hit the brakes I see "E1" on the screen and the operation guide said that is what I should see when there is no trailer attached. I pick up my new trailer tomorrow so I'll know for sure then.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your welcome, have fun with your new toy......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts