Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my coolant level getting low but didn't see a leak, so I added more fluid and then the other day it overheated. Put some more coolant in and saw it leaking out near the water pump area. Then noticed that the tranny and counterbalance areas had coolant in them.

Would this be a blown headgasket? Or any other suggestions on what could be the problem? Still starts and drives like normal.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
Sounds kinda like it. Top off the coolant again, check your oil level and go for a short ride. With the quad running, carefully sniff the exhaust and see if you can smell antifreeze. If so, then yep, head gasket.

Also, the oil itself will turn milky from coolant being in it... but if it's a very small leak, the coolant will boil off (what you smell in the exhaust), keeping the oil clean.

The problem is when you have too big of a leak, it compromises lubrication of the bearings and other areas.

Rob

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
what he said. Frist check the case oil to make sure that it isn't leaking in from the water pump. If the oil is milky then it could be getting in that way. BUT most likely it is the head gasket. The stock ones are known for going bad. Make sure you flush the engine good and "DO NOT RUN IT UNTILL THIS PROBLEM IS FIXXED" YOU WILL MELT THE PISTON AND KILL THE BEARINGS.

You may get lucky and find out that the head bolts are loose but most likely you need a new head gasket.Tried to re torque the head bolts I think it's 25 foot pounds.

·
Premium Member
4,620 Posts
i have 3 scrambler 400's right now and have a friend that has replaced many of those 400 water pumps including one of mine. i asked him and he said if it is leaking out of you water pump then the water pump is shot. i would try replacing that first it probably needs to be done on your 11 year old machine if it has not been done recently. i am pretty sure there is a weep hole underneath it like on a small block chevy pump or mechanical fuel pump. it leaks when it is worn out. leo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts