Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on using AV Gas in four stroke quads?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ran a couple tanks of it through mine and don't think it's worth the money. It smells cool but I'm not going to spend $3 a gal. just to have my exhaust smell like flowers. But if your concerned about it hurting anything, it shouldn't.

·
Registered
95 Posts
dont need to spend the money,it does not help,might even do some engine damage.be careful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need higher octaine because of my NOS system and I am running a bit higher compression with the 580 big bore kit. My local shop says that it is making my motor burn dry. Does this make sense to anyone? It's 100 Low Lead.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yeah, AV gas will make the motor run dryer. i believe it has to do with the fact that your predator is not flying around in the air. Just use 87 (recommended by manual) or low 90's octane like everyone else is using. Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
993 Posts
you should be able to find race gas at any local race track, both unleaded and leaded, try mixing some with your pump gas to up the octane level for your higher compression. torco offers a "stelth pro" series that is desinged specifically for 2 and 4 stroke offroad applications.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
I do not recommend 87 octane in any motor with a 10.8:1 (or higher) compression ratio. I run 91 and won't run anything less than that.

I read about that nitrous kit in the newest Dirt Wheels and it sounds like they want you to run at least 94 octane. I'd suggest 96 octane unleaded race gas, if you can find it anywhere.

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let me add my two cents !! 100 Low Lead is designed for aircraft piston engines. AvGas will in time add lead deposits to your engine. 100LL contains Toluene which is the lead additive to the gas. Hense, as the earlier gentleman stated it smells cool. The toluene is what gives it the "flower" smell LOL.........
Aircraft engines run with two spark plugs and two magnetos. Which are designed partly to handle this type of gas.
I dont recommend using this gas all the time due to the lead deposit issue, however occasional use will not hurt it.
I also understand your need due to the higher compression rating so I will have to go with the VP Fuel recommendation earlier stated. They have fuel that is better designed for your type application.

Well there ya have it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a stock engine ultimate 4 works great. I run the C12 in my 300EX due to a high compression pistion. The lead will not hurt your engine, it will help cool it and it also lubricates the valves. I would not run AV gas M.L. is right. Also ultimate 4 will give your engine an increase in power by 6% and this in not a lie.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey predatornos500 , what nitrous kit did you install?do you have any pics of your install? getting ready to install on mine and was wondering where to put the bottle , was actully thinking of mounting it up front ...well let me know how you did yours that way i could get some more ideas.... thanx matt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
N20boy, I have the NOS kit for single cylinder motors. I installed the bottle in my airbox. I had to chop up the airbox and move it back a couple inches, but it is totally stealth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DO NOT RUN AVGAS IN YOUR PREDATOR-
I will totally agree with ML....But I bet you didn't know that the Toluene in the AVGAS will destroy seals in your engine given time.I am a commercial pilot for 18 years,and we have put Avgas in just about everything with a spark plug.
Also the lead deposits will build up over time and cause problems in some engines.I'll agree occasional use wont kill it,but push your luck.
I have been running 110 unleaded in my ride with great results,however I prefer 104.
As for the high octane causing your engine to ' run dryer ', I as well as several of the a&p mechanics I spoke to about this just couldn't see that one.
Good Ridding-

·
Registered
993 Posts
I wouldn't was the extra $$$ on the race gas for a predator, but I know on my dragbikes, before I switched to alcohol, race gas was a bit more forgiving as far as the jetting, you could lean it out a bit more without problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts