Polaris Riders Forum banner

Anybody seen my 3rd gear?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  buggle_96 
#1 ·
Yeah it happened. Pulled the predator out of the barn started to take of for the field, wasnt really getting on it. I heard kinda a little clanky sound when i put it into first and into second and then i hit third and there was nothng there. 4th and 5th are fine.

Just wondering for the people that something like this has happened to how long it took to get it back from the shop, and what the cost was.

I have a big trip to sahara on the 11th and im just gonna hope i can get it back in time.

#2 ·
The 11th of what month? My buddies predator has been at the dealer for over two months for a busted transmission, they said the warranty will cover it, so thats a plus, but polaris has a serious problem with there warranty work, it seems that once you make the purchase they could care less about you or your quad. That will definetely come to mind when I purchase my next quad.

#3 ·
The 11th of october. I think it has alot to do with the dealer or i hope it does because so far mine has been excellent. Mine was baought last febuary so there is no warranty and i was told the extended is worthless.

#4 ·
i might be able to help you here. i've got a link for stock predator parts. what this means is that if you can do the work yourself and don't want to wait for the dealer to fix it AND are willing to pay for the parts yourself, that you could probably have it fixed quick. here's the link

http://www.ronnies.com/store/page191.html

they have many stock parts as well as nice blowup pictures of all main components - james

#5 ·
Thanx alot Jeepman but i went ahead and sent it to the dealer. They are not backed up at all so hopefully they can get it in and out quickly.

All of the other gears and neutral seem fine, and when it was in third it was just like neutral. The oil didnt smell burnt, i dont knwo if it would though, and there is no grinding. Everything seems normal except minus third and two neutrals. I just dont knwo if its a serious problem.

#6 ·
THIS SUCKS!!!
So i called up to the dealer askin hwo things are goin. He said he wanted me to come in take a look and find out what i wanted to do...not the best words to hear. So i went in. The book calls it 4th gear drive but on this gear there were three hunks of metal missing. These peices of metal found there way through the engine. the crank is off balance and wobbles about 1/8". There are balnces are torn up. The piston and cyclinder are all scratched to hell. If polaris doesnt pick up on anything for all new parts its going to be around 1100 dollars and thats without labor. He was talking that hes going to try to get them to pay for parts. I know this has happened to others and i thought i was one of the lucky ones this would not happen to. Well if anyones had this down fall happen to them coudl ya fill me in on what happened? If i have to end up payin for this im gonna have to sell it. And my dad was about to buy a new 500 scrambler too. So HOPEFULLY polaris will back this up.

#9 ·
**** dude..hopefully you'll be covered! Did it give any notice before checking out or just let go? I Dread this happening to me..

#11 ·
Got a call back from the dealer. Poalris is going to cover the parts thank god...which is awesome but i still have to pay 59 dollars an hour. Ok as i said the piston and cyclinder had a peice in it. well about a week ago i came off a little jump, itty bitty one too, that i have in my woods and all of a sudden it sounded like the starter was grinding. So i was like wtf and shut it off tried to start it and it did the same thing. puzzled and scared out of my mind i waited about 30 seconds started it and it was gone? didnt knwo til now that there was a hunk of 4th gear going at it on my cylinder wall but other than that i rode the night before not a problem, oulled it out of the barn went out to the field and went into third, wasnt gettin on it, and nothing was there.

I started thinking, even though im barely going to be able to afford the labor cost, i was going to have them send a 440 kit down if it was out yet. I figured why not since it was going to take all the same parts and it proly would be the same cost, i think the dealer said all my parts would of been 1035.

Im happy that polaris is paying for the parts, not to thrilled about the tranny but it is the first year, my only fear is there going to putthe same thing in there and it will happen again. maybe they will send some parts for the '04? i dont but hopefully that will be stronger on the 04.

#12 ·
I bet if you do a little more bitching that Polaris will pony up the labor charges also!! Some times the dealers don't go after the labor charges from the factory because they can get more money from the customer than the factory will pay!!

Factory will only pay X amount of dollars for each kind of repair job no matter how long it take the mechanic to do the job!

If the dealer says that they wont cover it, ask for the number to customer satisfaction and call yourself, it couldn't hurt!!

#13 ·
Yeah, thanks bob i might try that today.

Since i got this about 2 months after my buddy bought it, i wasnt around for the break in. Is it six hours of easy riding or something. my manual is floating around here somewhere but i cant find it.

I think i will be running some really good stuff. Its made by motul and it is like 15 bucks a quart! I knwo the poeple at my local shop and i can get it for just abut what im payin for the PS4.

#14 ·
If and when you talk to Polaris you make sure you don't even mention break in or any thing like that, you should take the attitude that this is a brand new machine and that there is no way this kind of damage should have happened so soon!!

Don't be apologetic to them for calling, you should be like, WTF THIS BIKE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BROKEN LIKE THIS!!!!!!

Trust me on this, there is a reason why there is a saying "The squeaky wheel gets the grease'!!

Don't threaten them but make it real clear that you are a member of some Internet forum's that talk about the predator A LOT! No company wants bad press when it comes to any new product. They would much rather have you say that, "yea, my quad broke, but the factory went out of their way to make good on it and fix it!!

That my friend is advertising that they CAN NOT buy!!!!!!!! Word of mouth!!

#17 ·
The best break in results I have had over the years is to let the engine idle until it reaches operating temp. Then ride it hard for 5-10 min. Then ride easy for another 5-10min. Do this for about 45 min. to an hour total. Then let the engine cool and change the oil and the oil filter.

#18 ·
Just got the predator back. Put about 40 min on the engine tonight and called it quits. When i get home from school tommorrow im going to change the oil and filter. Tonight i took it pretty easy, let it warm up and then putted around and then took it up and down a few gravel roads just to let it run at about 1/4 throttle in 5th gear. Let it cool then took it back out, got a little bit mroe aggressive but never went past 1/2 throttle. So when i get the oil change done what do i do? ride it all out hall balls or kinda aggressive or what, i dont want to blow this thing up but from what im told if i dont run it hard it wont breka in right, im just kinda confused. Thanx

#19 ·
just work up to going balls out over the next couple hours of riding, the most important thing is to not let it get too hot too soon. That basicly means let it cool after a few minuets of hard running and dont go wot for three minuets straight. Open it up for short periods and use the engine braking too.

#20 ·
Just keep doing just what you are, but get more aggressive with it as you go. After another couple hours of doing this, I would have no problem going balls to the walls. It's worked great with every race quad I've built so far.

#21 ·
Ok thanks alot guys for everythings...finally i have posted a thread that has gotten 20 replies! So now i get a little fire thing on my thread, im pretty poud of myslef. I didnt want to cheat to get up to 20 either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.