Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've been through alot of tires in the past few years, recently i switched from GBC Dirt Tamers, to Bighorns (again) and now ITP Terracross.

The Dirt Tamers were nice, similar tread design to Bighorns, but a 6 Ply tire vs the Radial ply of the Bighorns. In 2200 miles on my last set of Dirt Tamers, 1 flat tire. And here in New Mexico, that is a feat. On my last set of Bighorns, 4 flats in under 700 miles. Don't know why, but the Bighorns puncture the sidewall alot easier than other tires i've ridden. To me the Dirt Tamers handle better in high speed cornering. One thing about the Dirt Tamers, they are lighter and cheaper.

Now to the Terracross. Wow, talk about handling. They plant themselves in corners, i got used to pushing the front end with the Bighorns, which were worse than the Dirt Tamers, but the Terracross grab and are more stable at high speeds.

For wear, verdict is out yet, looks like the Terracross won't last as long as the Bighorns or Dirt Tamers, but will tell after i get some more miles on them, only about 400 miles so far, no flats. For snow, Bighorns and Dirt Tamers work a little better, not sure why, but the Dirt Tamers don't qet quite as much traction in snow. Since i only ride a little in snow, the Terracross are my choice for all around riding.

At slower, rock crawling, off camber situations, if it is dirt, the terracross grip better, if rocks they all work good.

Oh yeah, occasional mud is fine, just as long as it isn't too deep with any of these tires, they weren't made for deep mud, or alot of mud, but will work for occasional riding in it.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
That's great to know! I've really liked the Terracross tires since they came out. My next tires may very well be Terracross, especially if/when I get an 850 XP. It's stock tires are really sad. Not even as good as the PXTs if you ask me.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right Rob, the stockers are not good, have 489s came on my Ranger, and since i had the 26" Bighorns i took off the brute, i put them on the Ranger, as i'm not whipping it around like i would on a regular ATV

you have to try the Terracross, i was pleasantly surprised at the performance, not sure how long they are going to last, my guess is they will only last about 2/3rds as long as a Bighorn, so should easily get 2000 miles out of a set, thats considering the rough terrain we ride on here in New Mexico, i actually got the 14" Terracross with ITP Black SS212's, i picked up the tires for $350 shipped to my door from an ebay dealer, so worked out well, got the SS212's 14" for $315 shipped to my door, and i did it right this time, put 6" on the front and 8" on the rear for widths, that way i don't bang the heck out of the side of the rim on the front

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I think due to the BH having that radial sidewall budlge and more flex, they cut easier.
and the corner handling, the BH have the nearly parrallel lines opposed to the sideways located 'Vs' on the Terra that would grab.

Your evaluation Dave makes great sence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the sight and saw the posting on the Terrcross. Thought I'd throw my two cents in... My riding is mostly deep mud in So. Florida. The Terracross tires seem to like a little more wheel speed in the mud. The tires don't want to clear like a true mud tire but work well when you spin them a little faster. Were not talking wide open throttle' just a little more wheel spin .... Don

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah Don, they're definitely not good for any type of deep mud, just like the Bighorns and others, other tires are better like Mudlite XTR, Outlaw MSTs, etc, that will still do okay on the trail and better for mud, thanks for the input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts