Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 scambler 500 4x4 and want to know if there is a ratio for front to rear? I bought 24x8x12 tires and rims for front so, what size can I run on the rear without anything binding up? Bigger the better for ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Basically anything smaller than that by at least an inch will work. I would probably go with a 22 inch tire or possibly a 23 if you want. As long as the front drive isn't pulling the rear end around you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks. It has 21" on front now and 24" on rear thats why I thought the rear should be bigger. But it does pull all over when I take it on pavement it's hard to ride at any speed. So maybe that explains that problem to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I see that now looking at stock tire size. I bet it will ride and handle alot better when I get the right sizes on to.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Yeah, you should have fronts larger than rears. In your first post I thought it said you had just bought 24 inch tires for the front and were wondering what size you can have in the rear. If you put too big of front tires on, the front wheels will pull the rear end around.

The 4wd will function with the tires you have on it now, but it won't engage nearly as fast with the tire sizes you have. The front tires will also spin a lot slower than the rears if they are all "locked".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the 24 rears are almost worn out anyway so I'll look for some 23's. I did just buy new 24's for the front but don't have them on yet. I was unsure because of the 21 fronts, I thought I would need bigger rears since it was already set up that way. Now I understand what I need. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
you for sure need to have the fronts 1" larger then the back to even out the drive ratio, if not then your gas eco will go down and your machine will feel like a slug since it will fight against itself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts