Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through a lot of the posts about no spark and not starting on the 90 cc Polaris quads and it looks like the stator is usually the problem. My son was riding through some puddles and eventually the quad stopped and would not start. Will turn over, just won't fire. So we parked it for a couple of weeks, I charged the battery, and pulled the plug to check for spark. It sparked once and that was it. Now it has no spark. I have checked all the usual conncections and they appear fine. Any guesses as to why it would spark once and then not again? It did not spark before I charged the battery at all, but just once after? This 90 has always been very hard to start. It takes a lot of cranking and sometimes I have to remove the air cleaner boot to choke it off a little more to get it to fire in any weather. Are there any electrical or carb mods that would help it fire right up? I have already converted the choke to a manual style from the later models and did away with the electric one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention the 90 is all stock.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My money is on the stator. I just went through this about a month ago on our Predator 90. It would run, die, hard to start/not start pulled the plug and there was an intemittent spark or no spark. Replaced the stator and good as new.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
It's probably the stator...my daughter just had the same problem and come to find out...when the stator went out it took out the cdi box and the coil...we had to replace all 3.

If it is a 2002 then i would go ahead and replace the stator no matter what...if it still doesnt have spark then try the coil then the cdi box. (replacing the coil is cheaper than the cdi box so try it first.)

The stators are very easy to replace...u just need a flywheel puller to do it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will start with the stator. Any benefit going with the aftermarket stuff? If so from who? Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. I pulled the flywheel off of the 90 with a homemade puller and quickly discovered why there was no spark. The stator and flywheel was packed with mud. There was no way it could generate a spark. I thoroughly cleaned it up and reassembled it and it sparks great. It fired right up. I guess the mud found it's way up there through the years trough a 1/2" gap at the bottom of the fan cover by the oil injector. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Great!!! Ya those stators are pretty sensitive...its always been a problem with the lil' predators. Glad yours is running again!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's acting up again. No spark, weak spark, and sometimes an intermitant spark. The stator is clean as can be. Tested it out and one side read 470 on the ohm meter the other side no reading. It finally went. Has anyone had a stator go out slowly? I ordered a new one from Ricky Stator today for $125. They said it is better than the stocker.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
i had the same problem they dont like puddles wish i woulda known about the riky stator one as i paid 100 for the stocker mine went out same way cleaned mud out then finaly crapped out two miles from the truck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts