Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello new member here. I've got a few questions about my Scrambler and thought maybe you guys could help.

My 99 Scrambler is seriously low on power. Starts very easily but there isn't any power on the bottom end and power on the top end is minimal. Carb has been cleaned so that shouldn't be the issue. Did a compression check and it's 110-115 psi. I know that its at the bottom of the operating age but I'm not sure it's so low that it should be performing this badly.

Another question is does anybody know where I drain the cooling system? I think I'm going to drop in a new top end but I didn't want to pull the jug off without completely draining the coolant. I know where to drain the radiator but I would like to get all the coolant out of the motor. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Jason,
Sounds like you have some capable mechanical skills. I would get your hands on a service manual. These engines are user friendly to work on. Also don't forget the basics like the air cleaner, and maybe make sure to check over your clutches for proper operation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken,
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I have a dealers factory service manual ($80 15 years ago). Unbelievably it doesn't say where to drain the anti-freeze except for the radiator. I guess they figure its so simple everyone should know. As far as the loss of power, well, I think I've tried about everything with the exception of a new top end and the clutches. Yes, I do have so mechanical skills (I was a small engine mechanic years ago) but I know absolutely nothing about the clutch system in this quad. If you have any advice regarding that I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts