Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I'm starting this thread to find out If any other predator owners have switched there front sprocket from the stock 14 to a 15 tooth yet and if so what kind is it also how is the clearence from sprocket to case saver and what changes have you noticed in the gearing from bottom to mid to top ends thanks for any help....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went to the 13 tooth sprocket, I liked the little extra pulling in the low end, when I' am in the sand. I think it will work good for the trails. I did lose about 5 mph at the top end.

·
Registered
343 Posts
wow..15t front..that would make it VERY tall! Too tall i would think...I also added a 13t front, but i added 22" rear tires..im adding a 38t rear to help get it lower!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See I run in dirt,snow,mud,railroad grade trails and woods trails It just feels like when Im riding that first and second gear are to whiney constantly shiften between first and second what Im trying to achieve is to even the gears out more so would I want a 13 or a 15 or should I go a 14 front and something different in the rear like a 36 or a 38? any opinions are welcome...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I dont know, but i can tell you, when i put the 22" on the rear, and left the 14t front, it was WAY too tall! I would say that putting a 15t with the stock tires would do the same. First and second werent too bad, but you'd hit third and there would be a lag spot, it would take a second for the power to come on.

I found on small, fairly steep hills, second was too tall, and first was too short, so you couldnt carry much speed up them. I just wasnt happy with it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey where did you get the 13t sprockets, I've been looking for one on AZ for a
month now and can't seem to fine one.

03 Predator TLD
02 Kasea 90

·
Mostly Harmless
2,544 Posts
After having ridden my Predator on the dirt with both stock 14/37 gearing and my current 13/38 gearing, I can say that for the dirt, I would want to go no shorter than 14/38. I don't think I'd even want to do 13/37, as it'd be too short.

If you think 14/37 is too short, then try 14/36, since you can get a 36 rear sprocket from Polaris. The more I think about it, the more I agree with the others -- a 15 up front will be waaaay too tall.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes a 15t front would be too tall, i would just mess with the rear sprocket till you find the one that works for you. I dont know why you would want to lose bottem end, it already dont have enough, but that is my opinoin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I will send my 15 back for a 13 or a full refund hopefully. I have up to 30 days so we will see. then I will try a 38 In the rear thanks guys....................

·
Registered
42 Posts
guys, guys, dont gear them down, power them up. i put the k&n filter w/b pipe and k&n jet kit in mine and i have no problem getting in 3rd gear and staying there down the trails. i ride in sand and loose dirt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I WAS RACING WITH SOME DS 650 IN THE FIELD WITH 13/38 THE HOLE SHOT MIND. BUT THATS ALL. WITH THE 15/36 IT A HEAD TO HEAD IF I HAD ONLY 6 SPDS. I HAD TO GRID THE CASE SAVER. I'M GOING ONE STEP MORE I ORDERED A 16T GEAR. AS LONG AS I CAN GET IT TO FIT? I'LL KNOW MORE WHEN IT COMES IN. GEARING IS ALL TO WHERE AND HOW YOU WHAT TO RIDE. TOP SPEED BIGGER FRONT SMALLER REAR AND THE OPPOSITE FOR MORE TORQUE (MUD, AND CLIMBING POWER) I JUST GOT A WALL FULL OF GEARS ANS CHANGE IT OVER TO HOW I WANT TO RIDE THAT DAY

·
Registered
16 Posts
i put a 15 on mine and love it actually. i do a lot of riding in open desert kinda. mostly dirt roads and sand pits. i climb hills in the pits in 2nd easily and can easily pull 5th anywhere too. i can still pull up in 4th gear for a wheelie too. as a matter of fact, i can hit the rev limiter in 5th if i have enough of a stretch of smooth, good road. i'm talking pavement smooth too. i say, go for the 15, or at least try it. if i was racing moto-x, i would def change it back to stock though, don't get me wrong there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi I was thinking the exact same thing.I do a lot of open road riding and there are a lot of long stretches that I can open the bike up.I also wanted to get more top-end speed.I've been thinking about this for awhile and I started a post on the same subject awhile back so let me know what you guy's are getting as far as top speeds.Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
76 stock gearing, 82 with 15 tooth. nice impovement. i can now play with my throttle while riding next to my friends raptor when he's wide open. :D I love it...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I will definetely be ordering a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 38 tooth rear tommorrow, after riding this past weekend in the dunes, I feel the stock gearing that I was running may have cost me a little in the drags, I use 9 paddle extremes and was spinning badly of the line. It rained both thursday and friday nights, so the starting line was pretty damp, I had a 13 tooth front sprocket with me thinking I would need it, I'm sure glad I didn't put it on before trying the stock gearing out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i run a 15t in the front and its not too tall at all. it does give you more top speed but you do lose bottom end.

·
Registered
129 Posts
All depends on the riding, i've got 13,14,15 for the front and 37,40 for the rear. Just by changing some gears, you can totally change the way the quad rides on different terrain. I've found that sand is great with the 13,40 most trails i run the stock 14,37, and for wide open desert or road i really like the 15,37 - James

1 - 18 of 18 Posts