Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running the 13/38 gear ratio and have had a lot of good times with it. I'm going to be doing a lot of open road riding this weekend, so I wanted to switch to 14/36. I changed the gears and went to tighten down the chain and ran into a problem. Now it won't tighten down far enough, there is WAY too much slack. What do I do? I have never shortened a chain with o-rings in it. What is the best way to solve my problem? Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
since the way your talking makes this sound like its a temporary thing, i would just go get a roller chain the lenght you need. i would not cut the o-ring chain if what your doing is only temporary. im not sure, but i think the roller chains are fairly cheap!

·
Registered
993 Posts
in all reality you are only dropping one tooth over what you had, that should leave plenty of room for the proper adjustment of the chain unless your has streched quite a bit. you can get a chain breaker and remove a link or two and should still have plenty to go back to your 13/38. I would double check and make sure that you have no adjustment left, one tooth should not be that big of a difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i believe that there are differences in production that make the chains different on each bike. when i went to the 14/40, many people said that the chain wouldn't be tight enough, but i can still make it very loose. i too think that if i went 14/36 i couldn't tighten it enough. it is probably too late now, since you already bought the 36, but if you left the 38 in the back and went to a 15 in the front, you wouldn't have the issue with the chain being to loose - just my 2 cents - james

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just added a 13T sprocket and had to remove 1 link from the chain so I could get it to tighten up. You could shorten it up to fit and then get a section with another master link to put back in when you change your sprockets back and need the added length.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts