Polaris Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this 2007 Polaris sportsman 500 efi. Engine sounded great, started right away. I drove it a couple times, on my second round I got some water in the recoil housing and the stator because the pull start handle was not secured properly when I purchased it. Resulting in check engine light coming on.

When I took the magneto housing apart, it was caked with mud inside and the stator was fried. I tested it with a multimeter and it was shorted to ground and sending AC current into the engine.

I cleaned the stator and the flywheel and started the quad to test if it was charging the battery and it definitely was charging at the proper rate but also sending ac current into the engine. Could have fried something when running it...

I ordered a new stator and didn’t touch quad until it came.

What I think happened was the water that got in loosened up the mud around the stator and started more current flowing and something got fried resulting in the check engine light. Then after cleaning it when I started it something in the ignition system must have fried as well.

I replaced the stator with the new one and it won’t start. Stator checks out but there is no spark at all.

I tried loosening the pulse trigger and pushing it as close to the flywheel as possible and still no spark.

I have seen people taking about testing the ignition coil and the CDI. However, I’m not even sure mine has a cdi since it’s an efi.

I’m about to repair the pull start to see if it will start that way. As well as maybe put the old stator on to see if I can get a spark to rule out the new stator.

If anyone has some information on where to start looking or if this model has a CDI or not that would be super helpful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bought this 2007 Polaris sportsman 500 efi. Engine sounded great, started right away. I drove it a couple times, on my second round I got some water in the recoil housing and the stator because the pull start handle was not secured properly when I purchased it. Resulting in check engine light coming on.

When I took the magneto housing apart, it was caked with mud inside and the stator was fried. I tested it with a multimeter and it was shorted to ground and sending AC current into the engine.

I cleaned the stator and the flywheel and started the quad to test if it was charging the battery and it definitely was charging at the proper rate but also sending ac current into the engine. Could have fried something when running it...

I ordered a new stator and didn’t touch quad until it came.

What I think happened was the water that got in loosened up the mud around the stator and started more current flowing and something got fried resulting in the check engine light. Then after cleaning it when I started it something in the ignition system must have fried as well.

I replaced the stator with the new one and it won’t start. Stator checks out but there is no spark at all.

I tried loosening the pulse trigger and pushing it as close to the flywheel as possible and still no spark.

I have seen people taking about testing the ignition coil and the CDI. However, I’m not even sure mine has a cdi since it’s an efi.

I’m about to repair the pull start to see if it will start that way. As well as maybe put the old stator on to see if I can get a spark to rule out the new stator.

If anyone has some information on where to start looking or if this model has a CDI or not that would be super helpful!
Update, I fixed the pull start and tried starting it that way. Still won’t start. A couple times it almost sounded like it would start but then small backfire and nothing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts