Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06' will only idle/run with the choke on full or 1/2. I have cleaned out the carb jets twice, primary and main, all clear. Also replaced the fuel filter and checked the tank vent. I tried to set the slide screw thinking it was to low, didn't help. With the choke off, it starts backfiring through the exhaust(lean condition) and eventually stalls out. I'm posting on other sites but thought I'd try here first. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Look for airbox leaks/cracks and intake boot cracks.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
kbaney does the 90 have any mods? sounds like a lean condition,try adjusting the fuel mixture screw.My son's 90 ran & idled alot better when I started adjusting the mixture screw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's stock. I took the idle mixture screw out and cleaned it with a brillo pad. sprayed some carb cleaner through the port again and reinstalled it 2 turns out, still will not idle. it's definately lean, just am having a hard time figuring out why. I blew out all the ports when I had it apart.I have never seen a choke setup like this one. My factory manual is no help either.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I am assuming it was running good and now it isn't...correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been doing this for a while now. If I remember correctly, it gradually started doing this. When I have it idling with the choke on, it just sits there and lopes, when I move the choke to off position, it stays idling, but I loose throttle response then it gradually dies so it sounds like I'm not picking up through the primary circuit. Am I correct? I used to work in a Kawasaki shop, but that was back in late 80's. Boy have things changed. Thanks again for your guys' help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, I blew through it and reinstalled it. then I checked to se if it was clear when reinstalled and i could see all the way through it into the venturi.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you have tried everything possible and it didn't work, it could be your stator. Some stators dont "just go out" they can cause the machine to run rough (as if it had a carb problem.) My daughters quad kept acting up, so we, cleaned the carb, jetted and rejetted and had no luck. We had the stator replaced and it fixed the problem.

The Predator 90's are known for their stators going out...so if all else fails, try replacing it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
What Blazer said is especially true if the 90 was run inwet/muddy conditions. The stator isn't sealed very well.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
When you say it is running lean have you check the plug? I don't believe a stator albiet a common failure would cause it to run lean.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only water or mud this has seen is when it gets washed. Blazer, When you say your daughters was "acting up", what exactly was it doing? I'm trying to get a comparison between quads. I could see the stator being the problem if it gave me some hint on the top end but this thing screams across the rpm range, especially at top end when the stator might be taxed out. I'm not ruling it out, i just want to be sure before I go buying parts. I appreciate your input and time. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Nope not at all, definitely rich. Have cleaned your air filter lately? Certainly rules out an air leak in my opinion. By what you are saying I would look/clean my stator and ensure my air filter wasn't plugged up. Stock airboxes a lot of folks don't ever really clean them out much. I would definitely be looking those two places.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I just serviced the air filter, it still does it with it off by the way. So, when I tear into the stator, is there anything inparticular I should be looking for? Or do I shotgun it and hope it fixes it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Use the below link for your Stator issues if you have them. Spike is awesome when it comes to this area. I would throw a new plug in by the looks of that one.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/262582347LVsyKh

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Haley's quad woud pop and cut out when her stator was bad. I would definately say its either a carb problem or stator problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts