Polaris Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a local dealer getting some oil yesterday and had a chance to check out the new 04 predator.

These are some of the changes that I was able to notice with out taking the bike apart!! lol I just wish I had my camera with me!

Seat is now all black, to my eye the old seat looked better.

The graphics have changed a little, not bad looking.

Like my late build 03, they are not using those mounting hole's under the seat to hold the rear plastic on, must have been a cracking issue.

The oil tank is smaller and the spec's list the oil capacity as 2 quarts now instead of 2.25 qt's. IMHO more oil is better, makes for a cooler running quad.

Frame... With out taking all of the plastic off, which the salesman wouldn't allow lol :), the frame has been changed by the rear gas tank mount, there are now two welded brackets that hold the tank rather than the the brackets that thru bolted thru the frame. Looks to be a much stronger.

Rear hubs and wheels, the rear wheels are now 9 inch, with a smaller hub, looks to be the Honda 4 on 110 bolt pattern but could not measure it no ruler around. It is either 4 on 110 or 115, both are a better choice for finding tire/wheel combo's for us!

The front seat catch that fits into the gas tank is now all metal, no more plastic to snap off!! Could not see about the front clip mounts but I bet they are changed also.

Thats about all I could tell from my quick look see, but it seems that Polaris is trying to address some of the major issues that we had with the first year model problems.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've read that they changed the rear plastic slightly to better protect the rider from mud..from the pics i've seen i dont see what they did..any idea? Oh and the graphics are from the TLD pred..

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Whats this about a smaller oil tank? I have heard about everything except for this change.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking to see what they did to the rear plastic but could not tell.

On the oil tank, the tank is noticeably smaller and the spec's tag on the handle bars lists the capacity as being 2.0 qt's.

I have no clue why they made that change, maybe people bitched about having to buy 3 quarts of oil to do a oil change.

FYI on the Polaris oil prices that every ones always bitching about, I was calling around to my area dealers and found that there was almost a 2.00 price difference between the highest and lowest priced dealer, when I asked the dealer who's store I was at why they were .75 cents a quart higher than the Polaris catalog price they said that they get the prices from Polaris on a CD ROM and just charge what the computer says it should be, he looked up the price on his own and told me that I was right about the Price being wrong and went and changed the price in his computer right on the spot and sold the oil to me for the right price....$5.99 a quart, the same price that they sell the amsoil 10w40 wet clutch motorcycle oil for.

So for the guys that say that they are getting ripped off by their dealers, you might try to bring it to their dealers attention that they are over charging on their parts, I came to the conclusion that they, the dealers, can get in trouble (from Polaris) for selling higher than the catalog price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts